Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

1KD engine, interchangeable between LC & Hilux?

Dave-S

Country Flag
uk
My 2010 LC4 has a cracked & holed piston, Toyota say it’s not repairable, probably true, they have offered an new engine for £14K!!! Looking into replacing the engine with something more affordable, I have found a used 1KD engine from a Hilux, I’m told that it will fit into the LC, is this correct?

Just out of interest, did the LC4 have a tuning box installed?

I'm not an expert but my understanding is that the base 1KD-FTV engine will be the same but the ancillaries are different; eg the dipstick is on the opposite side etc

The holed piston will have scored the cylinder, and possibly damaged the head. The 1KD engine doesn’t have liners, and can’t be rebored - info from Toyota dealer.

Tuning box not fitted. Your are correct, the most obvious difference between the LC and Hilux is the dip stick, don’t want end up looking like one by buying the wrong engine!

piston rings are available for the 1KD in:

OS 0.50,0.75 and 1.00

replacement engines are readily available and reasonable priced though.

Toyota dealer won't rebore or skim head but these guys would

1635197404969.png

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Thanks Shane, problem I have is finding someone to fit a complete engine never mind overhauling one. All the shops I’ve contacted are too busy or just not interested or maybe not capable of doing some proper spanner twisting.

The more money they got the less likely they are to employ a mechanic that can actually fix things .

Your on the rock aren't you ?

If so turn right before the Brown Bobby and you will find some dirty overalls down there

Located a shop that will change out the engine, however he's not interested in swapping out ancillaries. As above my question is will a 1KD engine from a Hilux, same year as Landcruiser be a one out / in swap?

Sorry about the similar user name to Dave_S, no way to change unless an admin can oblige.

Back