Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

1kd ftv piston cracks

GeekOKent

Supporter
Country Flag
uk
Hi, trying to dig up some info on the 1ldftv piston cracking issue. Looks like, and seems widely reported outside of the UK, that the euro4 engine (which many of us have ), were impacted.

Cant find any details locally, and no service recall either. The closest is this like that conains a pdf of a service notification from Toyota EU.
https://ssch.com.au/trade-news/toyota-1kd-ftv-piston-failure/

Anyone have details? Was this ever a recall ?

Various models suffered more than others. I believe the earlier gen were better off than the latter. Lots of info out there on google!

I've come across this while idle browsing and had it logged somewhere in the back of my mind that the 1kd is essentially a 1kz tuned to extremes by mrT himself so there is little tolerance left for hamfisted home tuners mistakes .

Its something you will hear more of from all cars as manufacturers are forced to shrink engines "to save the planet" while increasing the power to make people buy them , something has to give and hey reliability is not profitable .

To be fair Shayne, the 1KD really only shares the bottom end, and by that I mean the block and crank. Pistons are different. Head is totally different. The high pressure fueling system, injectors ect all help in increasing power but I wouldn't say it cut back on the reliability of the engine. Toyota have finally sorted out the head issue on this Generation, which all prior 1KZ and 2 litre motors suffered.

So engines less than 170bhp were all ok, and the all post 2008 engines are ok. And all 5sp autobox trucks pre 2008 are at risk.

So engines less than 170bhp were all ok, and the all post 2008 engines are ok. And all 5sp autobox trucks pre 2008 are at risk.
I assume you mean 6 Speed manuals as well. Unfortunately the number of gears is NOT an indication as to which engine is fitted. Mine was registered in Nov '04 with a 6 spd manual box but, fortunately it would appear, has a 163Bhp engine.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
You say fortunately, so would you consider the use of a chip/tuning box to potentially cause this issue? I have the same engine as you from a similar age and am wondering about a chip.

You say fortunately, so would you consider the use of a chip/tuning box to potentially cause this issue? I have the same engine as you from a similar age and am wondering about a chip.
I would recommend a 3" stainless exhaust direct from the Turbo. The standard exhaust is restricted at the turbo. It should rev more freely and have more go without the worries about whether you might be potentially damaging the engine or not.

Many people chip these engines with success. Just don't over do it. I've also read that sometimes injectors fail, lean out the burn which can cause high combustion temps leading to cracked pistons. So make sure injectors are in good working order

Hi, trying to dig up some info on the 1ldftv piston cracking issue. Looks like, and seems widely reported outside of the UK, that the euro4 engine (which many of us have ), were impacted.

Cant find any details locally, and no service recall either. The closest is this like that conains a pdf of a service notification from Toyota EU.

The problem with the 1KDFTV is that 1 or some injectors fail or lean out about 120000km to 150000km according to Toyota here in OZ, I have the service Tech docs and a pdf of the pulldown. The problem applies to several motors, mine is the 2014 KUN51R with 55000km so I have plenty of warning. Injectors are $2k a set here but you need Toyota to install as the ECU needs to be updated with each injector code. I was told that the warning is a terrible rattle & black smoke but that would seem too late to me. My buy in on this is Run the best fuel you can buy, every tank, add a good fuel treatment like LMolly diesel, block off the EGR, divert the PCV to air cleaner, spray LMolly Decarb down the intake in 2 second bursts twice a year, change oil every 10K & save up for the injector swap out. Cheers Ed

The problem with the 1KDFTV is that 1 or some injectors fail or lean out about 120000km to 150000km according to Toyota here in OZ, I have the service Tech docs and a pdf of the pulldown. The problem applies to several motors, mine is the 2014 KUN51R with 55000km so I have plenty of warning. Injectors are $2k a set here but you need Toyota to install as the ECU needs to be updated with each injector code. I was told that the warning is a terrible rattle & black smoke but that would seem too late to me. My buy in on this is Run the best fuel you can buy, every tank, add a good fuel treatment like LMolly diesel, block off the EGR, divert the PCV to air cleaner, spray LMolly Decarb down the intake in 2 second bursts twice a year, change oil every 10K & save up for the injector swap out. Cheers Ed

Just a note about Toyota installing. The ECU coding can be done with a copy of TechStream software. About 20 quid from ebay with a cable to hook up the laptop. 4 recon injectors comes in at about £600. And theres about £30 of consumables, crush washers, etc, on top.

Just a note about Toyota installing. The ECU coding can be done with a copy of TechStream software. About 20 quid from ebay with a cable to hook up the laptop. 4 recon injectors comes in at about £600. And theres about £30 of consumables, crush washers, etc, on top.

Coming up to 130k miles, seriously considering a recon set. Any vendors you might recommend Rob?

Over the second half of December, i can even park the 120 up of needed, so the other option is to extract the injectors in there now, and send them off for a recon.

Thanks Rob,
Ordered the cable $23aud and got the Toyota Techstream v12 software here; https://1drv.ms/u/s!AsNneVhm548Wcc6cRS8q_uRWoZY
You need to extract with Zip or Rar after download to a usb stick and then load it onto a laptop.
It has firmware update for the cable, a PDF of how to install & firmware update & a video of how to do it all.
Some folks talk about virus in the firmware & or software of various cables but I will report on that if & when I find any.
Ed

Hi, I found the Toyota service advice & a OZ report on the issue.
Hope this helps all the Euro4 owners
Cheers from Hervey Bay QLD (Fraser Island on my back door...)

Attachments

• Technical-Service-Bulletin-Toyota-1KD (1).pdf
    274.4 KB · Views: 413
  • Toyota 1KD-FTV Piston Failure.pdf
    178.9 KB · Views: 568
Hi, I found the Toyota service advice & a OZ report on the issue.
Hope this helps all the Euro4 owners
Cheers from Hervey Bay QLD (Fraser Island on my back door...)

Something else to look forward to.:weary: Not sure there is much that can be done other than swap out worn injectors.

(Have family in Hervey Bay. Never been there, but they seem to like it.)

Back