Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

1KD-FTV Turbo Issues

Matt McCawley

Country Flag
uganda
Hi,

I'm looking at a used 2001 Prado with the 1KD-FTV engine that is in overall good condition but upon test drive it seems to be very under powered. I'm not very familiar with these particular engines but I noticed that the turbo doesn't appear to spool up until about 2800-3000 rpm. I've watched a couple YouTube videos of the same motor and their turbos appear to engage much sooner. Can anyone enlighten me on the potential issues? Is this common? Is this an easy fix or should I look for a different vehicle?

Thank you

Welcome along, I had a 2001 one with the 1KD engine and it pulled impressively well, mind it did seem to get into its stride about 2500 rpm through to about 3800. I wouldn't have said it was anyway underpowered though.

Hi,

I'm looking at a used 2001 Prado with the 1KD-FTV engine that is in overall good condition but upon test drive it seems to be very under powered. I'm not very familiar with these particular engines but I noticed that the turbo doesn't appear to spool up until about 2800-3000 rpm. I've watched a couple YouTube videos of the same motor and their turbos appear to engage much sooner. Can anyone enlighten me on the potential issues? Is this common? Is this an easy fix or should I look for a different vehicle?

Thank you
If you have been used to driving 5 and 6 lt V8 petrol engine cars and Trucks it might seem under powered .

Welcome along, I had a 2001 one with the 1KD engine and it pulled impressively well, mind it did seem to get into its stride about 2500 rpm through to about 3800. I wouldn't have said it was anyway underpowered though.

My experience with 3.0l diesel Prado engines is very limited but for what it's worth this car felt extremely unpowered compared to the 1998 1KZ that I test drove. I could be wrong (or paranoid) but it didn't feel like the turbo system engaged properly.

My money is on the SCV's. Suction control valves.

Back