Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

1KD Knocking

farhan

Country Flag
pakistan
experiencing rough idling and knocking and rattling from the engine at low speeds. Particularly when i stop at traffic lights and when i am accelerating from stop.
noise goes away at higher speeds.
replaced the injectors 03 months back, sound was there before the replacement and still is.
any guidance will be much appreciated.

From what you say, the injectors can be ruled out assuming the replacement was carried out correctly

However there are a lot of other options: blocked fuel filter, clogged air filter, intake manifold/EGR valve gummed up, idle speed to name some simple ones and no doubt a whole load more

Can you give any more information? Note, I'm not familiar with the 1KD, so maybe someone will be along with more specific advice

diggerdave
thanks for the reply
fuel filter is new
air filter is new
checked the egr valve a month ago - clean as a whistle

can you elaborate on the idle speed - the engine idles at 850 rpm
cheers

850 sounds about right. I'm not sure what the 'official' value is for the 1KD but that sounds as though it's in the right ball park.

The only thing i can think of is a timing issue . New belt ?

or perhaps the suction control valve in the pump is failing ?

Or could you be getting your fuel from the wrong place ?

Last edited:
Timing belt with the bearing is new

Suction control valve.... Hmm, how can I further diagnose this.

Quality of diesel is a question mark in Pakistan, however I buy from an outlet operated directly by the refinery who certify that their diesel has a low sulphur content. However the engine behaves the same regardless of where I buy the fuel from.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Another observation
Yesterday I floored the accelerator on the highway, initially there was a big cloud of black smoke from the exhaut.
I did the same 4 times and the black smoke reduced each time, finally there is minimum black smoke coming when I floor the accelerator.
The engine is also running lighter now as if it is breathing better.
Do I need to check the exhaust system, I am not sure whether there is a catalytic convertor in the exhaust, I have taken a photo of the suspect that I think may be a choked catalytic convertor??

Back