Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

1kz 1kz

rich

Country Flag
zimbabwe
good evening all. please forgive me if I'm not in the correct forum. very tech unsavvy. I have two Prado and a 1hz pickup in Zimbabwe. recently picked up a 1kz Prado as a run around and have had to rebuild the engine first trip out. big ends went. compcomp rebuild done in a very rundown garage in the bush but all in place. problem is the engine cranking but no firing at all. removed the head which was honed suspecting compression problem but all fine on head. diesel present on injector inlets but can't diagnose as there is no proper workshop where I am. can anyone help with suggestions for common problems I can look at? even tried quick start with no result. checked fuses all ok. injectors tested with hand compression pump and seem to be ok. we pull started in desperation and engine caught but with no power at all and foot flat on accelerator. any help would be greatly appreciated. cheers rich

You said you did a compression test, what were the results? You should perform a leak down test too. This is much more reliable in telling a engines health. Maybe the valves aren't sealing. With that said, even a engine with around 120psi compression will eventually fire after 5-10 seconds. (been there), so yours has to be very bad to be a compression issue.

Next likely problem would be fuel. Did you bleed the pump and make sure air bubbles are out. These motors require a heck of a lot of cranking to start back up if you've messed around with the injector lines/fuel system. Crack open the injector line just before the injector and see if fuel is coming out. If not then either the Spill control valve is stuck close, ECU problem, or the pump has air inside it. If fuel does come out, then it points more to a compression issue. good luck.

You said you did a compression test, what were the results? You should perform a leak down test too. This is much more reliable in telling a engines health. Maybe the valves aren't sealing. With that said, even a engine with around 120psi compression will eventually fire after 5-10 seconds. (been there), so yours has to be very bad to be a compression issue.

Next likely problem would be fuel. Did you bleed the pump and make sure air bubbles are out. These motors require a heck of a lot of cranking to start back up if you've messed around with the injector lines/fuel system. Crack open the injector line just before the injector and see if fuel is coming out. If not then either the Spill control valve is stuck close, ECU problem, or the pump has air inside it. If fuel does come out, then it points more to a compression issue. good luck.

thanks beau
appreciate the advice. we will get the head back tomorrow and slap it together and see what happens. I will try a do a leak test and send some feedbàck. from a recent chat I see that rebuilt diesels take an awful lot of cranking sometimes to seat the rings so will persevere and let you know. cheers rich

Hi Rich and Welcome. As above but to add, @Shayne had a similar problem after he changed the fuel filter. We had to force fuel back up to the engine from the tank by pressurising the tank with the return pipe disconnected and the pipe from the tank blocked off. You could try this but only really if your fuel primer seems like it’s not pumping up hard.

Other things to check is that you've definitely hotbthe pump timing correct on the belt. Check and double check.

Good luck with it
Rich

Hi Rich and Welcome. As above but to add, @Shayne had a similar problem after he changed the fuel filter. We had to force fuel back up to the engine from the tank by pressurising the tank with the return pipe disconnected and the pipe from the tank blocked off. You could try this but only really if your fuel primer seems like it’s not pumping up hard.

Other things to check is that you've definitely hotbthe pump timing correct on the belt. Check and double check.

Good luck with it
Rich

ok great. I have been a bit concerned that the hand pump seemed to be losing pressure and needed constant pumping to supply fuel evenly so will make that a priority. appreciate it.

hi guys the head came back tested ok. the pistons seem a bit loose to me . how many mills should you be able to move them, if at all. I'm getting prob 3 mm movement at tdc

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
hi guys. after all the drama turns out spare supplier sent std pistons instead of 30 thou. here's your problem! lol. will reset old pistons tomorrow to get out of here and back to civilization. thanks for the advice all

Well found Rich, really sorry to hear your supplier sent the wrong pistons but at least you’ve found it. They would probably have had a hard job sealing at 30thou undersized. :icon-rolleyes:

Back