Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

1kz te idle vibration

Coeyoey

Hi , i have a 2003 1kzte with 147000km. Started to idle rough when at operating temp. Injectors, engine mounts changed. Valve clearances checked. Cleaned plenium pipe and i have checked sll vacuum hoses. No air in diesel lines. Has anybody experienced this?

I must assume this is an LC120 and so i would suggest searching the 120 part of the forum for air filter box rattle or similar , i don't have a 120 myself but i believe the baffle between filter box and inner wing degrades causing maddening vibrations that have people suspecting valves and injectors .

Shayne. Thanks for the reply. The engine itself is shaking. Causing vibration through the cab. I have been told its overfueling which could cause this at idle? Once i rev up above 800rpm. All is smooth.

You can turn the fuel up or down on theses

81299-jpg.123021.jpg

Remove the lock nut and turn that little 6mm clockwise to up the fuel , I've turned mine down as far as it goes and the truck still runs though power is limited but when turning it up i use like 3mm rotation and then take it for a test drive . It takes only a minute to add another 3mm . Be warned turning it up too much can lead to a runaway engine and nobody wants that .

This does not look like my diesel pump. The location you show is where the spill control valve is.

That picture is the spill control valve the cap on top just slots on no screw thread so pull it off with pliers to reveal the nuts .

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Ok. I will look first thing in the morning. But from memory, the spill control valve has an elextrical conection in the location of the cap you describe and have shown in the photo. Once again thanks.

Judging by the year your KZ is, and saying your SCV is different, I'd assume you're probably from Australia? They have a different valve on there pump than the rest of the world, and the KZ engine ran in the 120 series, and even 150 series platform for some years.

If you were over fueling you would be puffing out black smoke on idle, is this the case? Whats drive-ability like? Is the engine idling where it's supposed to be? Maybe it's set too low if it idles smoothly at 800rpm? This can be adjusted on the butterfly valve area. It'll probably be hidden below your Intercooler if you have one. You can also adjust the TPS itself as it allows for sideways movement. Just back the two screws off, twist it and tighten screws back down.

If this fails, put a clear line on the return hose of the injection pump and make sure it's solid and no air bubbles are present, it could be drawing air in. Then you can go down the route of sensors. Crank position sensor would cause a rough idle. Simply unplug it, test resistance to make sure it's within range and even start it up to see if there is a difference. It will sound like a bucket of nails being shaken with the CPS removed. Make sure all connections at the pump are clean and plugged in. The two resistors at the side control the timing.

I noticed you mentioned at operating temp. So on cold start it idles fine?

Judging by the year your KZ is, and saying your SCV is different, I'd assume you're probably from Australia? They have a different valve on there pump than the rest of the world, and the KZ engine ran in the 120 series, and even 150 series platform for some years.

If you were over fueling you would be puffing out black smoke on idle, is this the case? Whats drive-ability like? Is the engine idling where it's supposed to be? Maybe it's set too low if it idles smoothly at 800rpm? This can be adjusted on the butterfly valve area. It'll probably be hidden below your Intercooler if you have one. You can also adjust the TPS itself as it allows for sideways movement. Just back the two screws off, twist it and tighten screws back down.

If this fails, put a clear line on the return hose of the injection pump and make sure it's solid and no air bubbles are present, it could be drawing air in. Then you can go down the route of sensors. Crank position sensor would cause a rough idle. Simply unplug it, test resistance to make sure it's within range and even start it up to see if there is a difference. It will sound like a bucket of nails being shaken with the CPS removed. Make sure all connections at the pump are clean and plugged in. The two resistors at the side control the timing.

I noticed you mentioned at operating temp. So on cold start it idles fine?
Hi beau,

Yes im in Australia. No black smoke at idle. Drives well only a little less power than normal. The engine is at factory set idle. I have put a clear hose on the supply line but not the return. I will try this on the wknd. Yes on cold start its fine. As it starts to warm up it gets rough. However it is progressively getting worse, that is starting to idle rough at lower temps as time goes on.

Josh

Back