Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

2 hours trying to fit a UJ wtf?

Shayne

Guru
That doesn't include removing the shaft or the old UJ .

Whichever way i try I am 2mm short of revealing the lock ring groove on one side or the other , though in every other sense they fit .

Toyo from Milners 000109 propshaft spider / universal joint A rack 1A .

They are not answering the phone weekends so as improbable as it seems i can't ask if possibly its the wrong part ?

I only decided to mess with it because its too warm to do anything else , might as well have taken a BFH to the quarry instead .

Any thoughts ?

In fact your probably right i just dropped an old pin flat in the bottom of a new cap and it adds next to nothing in length but enough to prevent the part fitting .

Beggars belief and fits my luck of late pins are held tight with what looks like vaseline and i added a little moly grease before i started so it must be a million to one .

Yay there’s part one done and I only lost about 6 stone doing it , I really need to get myself a work bench

6C286E1D-4393-439B-9CAC-A6A53E6F0A1D.jpeg

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Had exactly that issue with the last one I did on my 80 series Shane - bloody needle dropped in - think mine was a Milners one too, but that could be coincidental....

The last ones I got from Milners didn’t have the specially angled grease nipple, so once on the car they can’t be regreased.

It was something of nothing made worse by my instant regret , was only supposed to be a bit of easy fun to kill time in 35c with no shade .

For a pin to fall flat just seemed to improbable .

As for grease nipple i'm going to guess you bought a pair of UJ's and only fitted one ? if so the other likely has 2 bearing caps with holes in for the zerks provided .

So did you find a pin that dropped? Very easy to knock one out of the outside of the cup

I removed the UJ to start again and of course with it being new it more or less fell out so pins were a mixed mess , fitted with all 4 caps in 5 minutes once pins were tidy .

Just wasn't thinking , to hot sweating buckets doing something that didn't need done , patience had ran out by the time i'd degreased it .

Been there many times shayne. Pain in the ass sometimes

Done that lots. I used to try and avoid it by sliding the spider across so it partly spanned the fitted cap and the one being pressed in keeping the pins in place.

I haven’t done many so the very first I did is still fresh in mind as wow that was easy hence I thought do something useful before the noon sun starts baking me .

Pic here with a pin laid flat inside the cap and another in the lock washer groove , it’s really quite clear sat on the table like that but not so clear when your sat in an oven with all parts together if it would just move a smidgen more so you can go hide in the shade with a beer

7C9B3A28-B047-40A5-B7AE-25B8F044FE82.jpeg

Never mind , making myself look daft might save someone time and a headache :confusion-shrug:

Just reading your tread Shayne and must say I did not realise that fosters dried grey on metal like that so it really begs the question what the fluff is that doing to your insides you must have the constitution of a sea trawler fish hold

Foster's is Australian beer and as they say like sex in a canoe (f***ing close to water) not sure who bought it but they left 6 cans in my fridge cold and wet and good enough for me .

It might be Australian but its not beer exclamation mark

Back