Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

2" receiver attachments

callum

anyone know a good source of these in the uk?

i'm looking for a shackle bracket for recovery in the first instance. i see devon 4x4 have some, but they're quite expensive.

i'd also like to get hold of one of the swan neck towing attachments so i don't have to keep the big adjustable drop plate in the car all of the time.

Easiest way is to find someone to make one. I made my own receiver and drop plates. There's nothing to a receiver really. I made it out of 25 x 50 box welded together to make 50x50. That way you get 'internal' walls, not just hollow box. The D44 one is solid. Very nicely done. How much is the one from D44?

Sometimes these things look simple and therefore you think that they should be cheap. Not always the case.

Chris

i had thought about making one, but the common form of the shackle bracket is solid steel and i don't think the pillar drill would cope with putting a hole through that.

1205403053-warn_29312_receiver_bracket.jpg

http://www.devon4x4.com/index.php/N...roduct_id=820&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=14

Its not a fortune, but i know they cost about half of that in the US, so its a bit annoying. Towing attachments from northern tool are also pretty cheap, but again shipping heavy bits of steel is quite pricey.

I expect in this circumstance i'll just have to suck it up. I wish 2" receivers would catch on here, its a good system.

Not a fortune, no, but £56.21+delivery for a chunk of steel with a couple of holes in it and a shackle is rather a lot, I think as with a lot of things it's manufacturers charging what they think the market will stand.

Agreed Chas. That's actually very nicely made but for what it actually does, it's too much. It's also over-engineered really. That may contribute to the price.

Chris

My set up is complicated by a dual rear wheel carrier and longe range tank in the spare wheel hole and so i went off to see Watling for a bespoke receiver. Definitely doable but they would like £500 for the privilege. Ouch. Therefore I'm also looking for a plan B. I know Slee has the flange mount receiver and a unit that goes through the cross member but these would still need work to fit my set-up. Are there other suppliers besides Watling? I've noticed a couple of tow-bar resellers say they supply Watling specials so I'm guessing the bespoke is a small market. :think:

Maybe you should go into receiver-ship business Chris? ;)

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
by the sounds of that quote, i think your best bet is modding a standard tow bar simon.

here's a link to chris's one
http://www.landcruiserclub.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=8966&p=57176&hilit=receiver#p57176

and this is the one i modded
http://www.landcruiserclub.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=8966&hilit=receiver

i'm sure some other folk have mentioned making one too. also, if you make it yourself you can tuck it as far under as you wish. as i recall the genuine toyota receiver hitch hangs out quite a bit.

callum said:
by the sounds of that quote, i think your best bet is modding a standard tow bar simon.here's a link to chris's one http://www.landcruiserclub.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=8966&p=57176&hilit=receiver#p57176and this is the one i moddedhttp://www.landcruiserclub.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=8966&hilit=receiver
i'm sure some other folk have mentioned making one too. also, if you make it yourself you can tuck it as far under as you wish. as i recall the genuine toyota receiver hitch hangs out quite a bit.
If a tow bar is needed I have one just taking up room in my garage, just come and take it away. :thumbup:
I'm just off out to shoot a few arrows, will be back later tonight

Cossack said:
If a tow bar is needed I have one just taking up room in my garage, just come and take it away. :thumbup:
I'm just off out to shoot a few arrows, will be back later tonight
Right, have shot the arrows and won my first archery trophy, playing darts with bows and arrows in a doubles match, I must admit though my partner played the biggest part. Later I scored 180 as the photo shows. We were shooting from 18 metres, 59.05 ft.

11.jpg

Attachments

• 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 64
Outstanding Chas!

But I wouldn't stand there too long if I were you!

Chris

Chris said:
Outstanding Chas!But I wouldn't stand there too long if I were you!Chris
Your right, I wouldn't chance standing in front of me when I'm shooting :lol: :lol: :lol:, actually I have been corrected by a fellow archer, we were shooting from 15 yds not 18 mtrs, still, quite good I think :thumbup:

callum said:

Thanks Callum. To tool up to the level that i could manufacture one of these, putting aside the lack of welding skills which only stretch to soldering ;) , I would be struggling i think.

Chas, thanks for offering but i'm chasing the receiver rather than the bar and my rear wheel carrier takes some of the traditional mounting holes already.

Back