Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

2'' reciever tow bar

toolsplus

Country Flag
portugal
loking for a decent 2'' receiver tow bar for my 120

any ideas on make/suppliers lads?

cheers

Can't think of any UK suppliers that make the 2" receiver type bars. You would probably need to import one, but the problem then will be that it is unlikely to be type approved as required for vehicles registered after 1988.

If you're willing to risk fitting one when they're not type approved for your vehicle then I would have thought you could quite easily get one made up or get a standard UK type approved tow bar modified by an engineering/fabrication Co. or even DIY. They are a pretty simple design after all. Big risk though IMO, assuming it's for road use off course.

Think i have seen them for sale on Alibaba but it might take some messing about to find as they seem to call every cruiser a Prado , you might have some luck with LC120 too ?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Try Euro 4x4 as they have 2" receiver and may be they would have one, or be able to get one, for a 120
I noticed them when looking at towing equipment recently.

regards

I didn't realise 2'' receivers weren't approved for the UK,think i'll drop that idea

So are there any decent towbars available that don't sit too low?

['cause i don't want to plough potatoes]

cheers

I don't think receiver's are against UK regs it's just that all tow bars post 1998 need type approval .

The trouble is nobody sells a type approved receiver .

If you can find a company that produces tow bars and is authorized to add the type approval stamp then yeah you can have one , you might need deep pockets for that though i guess .

Last edited:
I don't think receiver's are against UK regs it's just that all tow bars post 1998 need type approval .

That amounts to the same thing. The regs are that towbars for post 1998 vehicles need type approval! Submitting a tow bar for type approval (or anything for that matter) means extensive testing by the 'experts', whoever they are with all the costs that would entail.

Aye that's easy to assume and might very well be true Towpack but whitling or watling or whatever they are called do offer one-off tow bars for American imports and the like so i wonder if type approval is something companies can offer due to their own strict manufacturing processes ?

They wouldn't sell many one-offs if 10 had to be tested to destruction for each 1 sold .

Cost nothing to email them and ask .

Back