Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

2 stroke in the tank

Adrianlle

Country Flag
great_britain
Evening. Seen some older threads on here about adding 500ml of 2 stroke oil to a full tank- reportedly making engine quieter and smoother. So wondering what the current view is on this , who’s doing it , whether it it is likely to be beneficial or detrimental to the injectors etc, and which 2 stroke to use-mineral or synthetic, low ash etc? Happy to give it a go but not if it is going to muck things up! Adrian Thanks

Hi Adrian, can’t really say for your 120, I’m no expert and I don’t know your engine, but I ran with it in my 1HZ 80 soon after I bought it. The engine had been mistreated by the previous owner, and run with an economy weight foot...
With some 2 stroke in the oil burner and driving it like a rental, she picked up quite a few horses.
It drove like a slug when I first had it, but after 3 or 4 months Italian style tune up, she’s as lively as she’s ever been. The 1HZ is the sluggish of all Land Cruisers with no turbo, but the advantage is there’s no EGR to block up with soot - it’s too old school for such mod-cons, and that’s a blessing.
I‘d say give it a go, I’m sure it will do no harm if everything else about the engine is in good order. You’ll soon know if it likes it, and you can always stop using it if it doesn’t.
Mine went instantly quieter and a smoother run, it was really noticeable at first, and after it had cleared itself of gunge, I stopped using it because it seemed to make no more difference.
There‘s 462k km on the dial now and it’s still going strong... touch wood... (oooh, can I say that these days?)
Job done for me.
Best of luck... and post up your findings if you give it a go... :thumbup:

Thanks Clive. I’ll give it a go then for a while and report back. Adrian

I've added 2 stoke mineral oil to the tank everytime i fill up for the last 12 years with no issues, i dont really measure it out putting in anything from 440ml to almost double that, i've never changed the injectors and have around 170,000 on the clock, my mechanic said the engine is very quiet and the injectors are fine.

The engine runs smoothly with 2 stroke in it and its never caused a problem, cost of oil against new injectors ...... probably spent more on oil.

hope this helps

Thanks for that. Looking around there seems to be a wide variety of 2 stroke from cheap chain saw stuff to semi and synthetic stuff for motorbikes and a big difference in price! What sort of stuff have you been using? Adrian

I do occasionally tip the odd spare L of 2 stroke mix into the tank but have never tried plain 2T oil. A 100 ml of 2T oil makes 5L of mix at 50:1 sufficient to lubricate a engine that revs to 14000 RPM so 500 ml in a full tank should be ok.
there seems to be a wide variety of 2 stroke from cheap chain saw stuff to semi and synthetic stuff for motorbikes and a big difference in price!
i use fully synthetic 2T oil from Stihl but i'ts 25 euros a L but i do chainsaw work professionaly. The cheaper stuff from stihl costs about 11 euros.
My understanding for doing this was that low sulphur diesel offered less lubrication to the injector pump .The issue of high vs low sulphur is discussed at length here

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
We put a dose of motorcycle 2 stroke oil through the 80 once in a while - not sure if it helps or not to be honest, but figure its certainly doing no harm. Truck is on 230,000 odd miles now...

I don't add anything to the Hilux diesel, figure its a newer engine and designed to run on the more modern diesel (and I don't want to screw up any of the sensors).

I use comma 2 stroke mineral oil, but I've spoken to others who use engine oil but thats a step to far for me...... putting the 2 stroke in puts my mind at ease when towing especially on a steep hill

I also use a little 2 stroke oil in the tank. Personally I wouldn't use 4 stroke engine oil as it's not formulated to burn in the same way 2 stroke is.

Thanks for all these contributions. I’ve ordered 5L of Coma 2 stroke ( it gets really good reviews on Amazon from those adding it to diesel) and will report back once I’ve used that lot up- should do 10 tankfuls at least. Adrian

2 stroke in diesels came about because the 80's era engines were designed to run on diesel that used sulphur as an additive to lubricate injector pumps and injectors ,.
With the advent of common rail engines and the drive for lower emission's coupled with much higher injection pressures many vehicles were sold with stickers saying "use ultra low sulphur fuel only " on the filler caps ...failure to do so caused injector problems especially in the AG world where red diesel was commonly still high sulphur .
I can see that 2 stroke in a low tech pre low sulphur fuel era engine like a 1HD T is beneficial and worth doing ( I do so in my 1HDFT ) not sure that it's such a requirement or benefit to do it in an engine designed to run on ultra low sulphur fuel but in low levels it shouldn't do any harm .

2T and a dose of Millers Diesel Power Ecosport or whatever they call it this week in every tankful, Millers raises the cetane number of DERV by about 2 points.
I get cheap standard 2T from Westaway for about £15/17 for 5 litres if my memory serves.
Been using this combination for years, Millers much longer, experienced mechanic at Cummins told me to use something like this when they started removing sulphur from DERV, been using Millers for decades now (product has name changed several times), 2T more recently.
Not going to mention what the effect has been because not tempting fate etc, however what i will say is that i'm going to carry on with this regime until the lunatic govt of the day send the brownshirts to shoot me and take my old school vehicles away by force.

Thanks. In for a penny etc... so have ordered some Millers stuff to try as well. How much do you put into a full tank of diesel in your 120?

Just to play it the other way, note that the 1kd isn't the same as the 1hd/1hz engine. And Toyota officially say that only use premium diesel from the oil vendors. No supermarket fuel, and no regular diesel at the bp and shell's of the world.

How many people here are putting 2t oil in a d4d
.. not me...

Happy to throw some diesel supplement(? Snake oil ?) into the 1hz, anyday. Not into the d4d. Toyota sell a diesel supplement, that they use at service time, which I am told by entirely unreliable people, that its a forte product.

I was pretty tuned in to my 1kz-te and felt no benefit from 2-stroke so never bothered after about 3 times , i do chuck some wynns diesel gold in all my trucks once a year just because i was hugely impressed with what it did for a seriously abused old diesel transit , i consider it a cleaner more than anything .

So mixed views on here for 120 - pretty consistent for the older design engines. It sounds though as if 2T and Millers won’t do any harm so I’ll run it until I’ve used what I’ve bought and take a view then. I am a bit puzzled though by the thought of only using super premium diesel and not big standard diesel given the countries many of these 120 have been/are operating in! Thanks fir all the contributions. Adrian.

There is lots of anecdotal commentary about engine problems with the 120 being fob'd off by Mr T down to fuel issues. I believe that's where the sentiment comes from.

Also different countries have different filters, oils, pumps and emission standards and service intervals etc.

Back