Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

2 weeks visit to the UK in June 2017(as long as it's still possible...)

Firewout

Garage
Country Flag
belgium
dear fellow forum members,
with all the publicity for the UK we are hearing lately, we decided to come and have another look to the island of islands, to the home of lukewarm beer and where they eat beans for breakfast.

I guess a few things will have changed since my first visit in the early 1980's.
I visited London in 1982, went backpacking in the Lake District a few years later, sailed around the Isle of Wight, dived the deeper wrecks in cornwall, went scrambling and mountainbiking in Wales, caving in the Yorkshire Dales and winter camping at the foot of Ben Nevis.

And now we'd like to figure out what is the best way to spend our two weeks holiday with the Land Cruisers.
-We will be driving a 75 troopy and a collie, both with RTT.
-We don't mind minor scratches but are not very fond of heavy mudplugging.
-Wales will be included.
-we love camping in the wild.
-beautiful green lanes with stunning views are very much our thing.
-a visit to an old castle and a brisk walk now and then will be nice to have a change from the wheeling.

We will be very greatful for tips and ideas for green lanes, camping spots etc.
trip will take place in the first two weeks of June 2017.

as a starter : what do you think of the following route : http://my.viewranger.com/route/details/NTIzMDY=

thanks already and maybe it's a good opportunity to meet a few of the forum members...

You're more than welcome to drop in on us if around this neck of the woods Wout.

Take a look around Swanage in Dorset, there's lots of walking in the Purbeck hills, Core castle (ruins) and a preserved steam railway. Dorset itself (The Jurassic Coast) boasts some lovely landscape and there's a nice campsite (Ulwell Cottage) that we've stayed at before. Nearer to us are the South Downs (hills) with lots of walks, pretty villages, nice pubs etc, plus there's Chichester and Arundel to visit with Arundel Castle open to the public.
Might have stopped raining and warmed up by June too. :)

I see by your view ranger map you're nowhere near us!

Not sure that wild camping is allowed but there's more knowledgeable folks on here than me regarding that one. I think it's why they go to Scotland, info here https://m.pitchup.com/wild-camping/

The New Forrest is also good with campsites ranging from a clearing to full facilities.

Just to point out that some of that route is not motor vehicle possible ( barmouth part is a footpath across railway bridge ) but not really checked rest of route as on phone

If you get anywhere near the peak district, we have walking, luke-warm beer, beans, stunning views and even castles, let me know!

This is heartwarming.
Only 30 mins and the reactions are coming in already.
I'll have to get the map and pins ready and try to keep up.
Thanks already and keep them coming please.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I am happy to show you around Salisbury Plain for the day or weekend if you want a tour guide.

Based in Bristol as I am sure you will go past the door if you need anything.

It's been a while since I was over that way but your route near Barmouth, from Llanabar round to Bontddu may be inaccessible. Short sections of it were drivable 10 years ago but as dead ends and looked like they'd been that way for a long time even then. Great views out to sea from above Llanabar if you make the climb but it may have to be on foot.

Most of your route east of Dinas Mawddwy is not drivable or is pretty hard going as well unless there have been big changes (unlikely) :(

Back