Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

200 series 2017 model fuel range indicator

Max Borgen

Country Flag
australia
I have a 2017 200 series Sahara. In 12 months I have clocked up 30,000klm mainly highway driving.
I have an issue with the range function not being accurate.
The system shows my average being 12.8 l/100 klm
Having filled the car to full, and drive off, the range shown is ONLY 737 klm.
With a 138 litre tank and the above fuel economy I would expect over 1000klm range.
When the car was new it would show over 1000 klm range.
Toyota have looked at it and say the system is working normal, and also takes into account idle time and fuel burnt durning DPF regeneration (noting I have never had to manually do DPF because of the highway driving).
The handbook says range is calculated on the average litre/100klm.
Has anyone else had a similar issue and what was the fix??

IMG_3664.jpg

Have you done a manual economy calculation to confirm that the 12.8l/100km is accurate?

Hi Grant, I have done a separate trip to manually confirm the accuracy of the ltr/100klm calculation. the distance this time was 100klm and the vehicle calculation is correct. The issue appears to be with the range calculation.

I don' have such a thing on my landcruiser but I do on my bmw and it changes depending on how I'm.driving. if I were to fill it up at a motorway service station it would say I've got 500 miles range but when I fill it up at the local garage (where I just do short stop start journeys) it says 230 miles. The average mpg will from when it started calculating will still be the same.
Hope that makes sense

I don' have such a thing on my landcruiser but I do on my bmw and it changes depending on how I'm.driving. if I were to fill it up at a motorway service station it would say I've got 500 miles range but when I fill it up at the local garage (where I just do short stop start journeys) it says 230 miles. The average mpg will from when it started calculating will still be the same.
Hope that makes sense
Hi Nick, thanks for your comment. Your comment makes sense. My car is calculating fuel used in litres /100 klm. This varies when towing or around town as expected, I have also checked actual fuel used when refilling which is also correct. The issue is the range calculation is not correct or even close based on fuel used / 100klm and fuel tank capacity.

The figure makes sense if it's for the main tank only.
What happens when you press the sub tank switch, does the range change? Or maybe the sub tank is completely out of the equation for the computer.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I'd be taking the car back for a tune up if that is your average highway fuel consumption. I have a 2008 VX with close on 400000 km on the clock and recently on a trip from Townsville out west and south averaged 8.7 litres/100km using the cruise control. I use an Android app called FuelLog and record all my ownership costs as well as fuel expenses (it is also accepted by the ATO for tax purposes) and that backs up the car's computer for average fuel consumption figures. I don't know if it is available for those strange things called iPhone.
20180318_155225.jpg
20180318_172847.jpg

Main tank is 93 Litres, Aux tank is 45 litres

If we go on the main tank being 93 litres, and the average economy being 12.8L/100km, then that 737km is about right - it ignores the Aux tank. What happens if you select the Aux tank?

93/7.37 = 12.6, so that 12.8 is pretty close - 12.8L/100km with 93 litres of fuel gives a range of 726km.

A lot of the "upmarket" 200's don't have the auxiliary tank - my VX doesn't, which is a shame whereas my 80 Series did. I've also read on other forums that if you put in an aftermarket auxiliary tank the car's computer cannot be reset to cater for that, thus the predicted km's will be wrong. It shouldn't be too hard for someone with the right skills to work out how to do it. Maybe a pump to fill the main tank from the auxiliary instead of them being interconnected would get around the problem as the computer would treat it the same as filling from a bowser.

I recently purchased a 2010 VX, 203,000km, from a friend in Brisbane, on the drive back to Adelaide 2,200km averaged 11.6 l/100km at 100 to 110kph, towing a 2.8t caravan at 90-100 average 16.9l/100km. Quite pleased as the 100 TD was a little thirstier.
CTILEY those figures are amazing with cruise at 90

Back