Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

200 series(2018) Diesel servicing - Anything special? OBD-II?

David Brown

Country Flag
australia
Having had 20+ years of Patrol and Landcruiser ownership, and doing all but the heavy servicing myself, I have always made sure I was aware of anything I needed to be aware of.

I now have a new 2018 turbo diesel 200 series, and with the DPF and fancy twin turbo things, I thought it was time to just get some educated advice before I just simply change the oil at 10,000km.

Are there any special requirements with these engines? Any diagnostic checks, service resets, fancy filters (not even looked at that yet) or is it just like the early 200's and 100's like I have had before?

Any particular bugs to be aware of?

Or should I go through the pin of getting to a dealer........ :) (not likely).

Thanks in advance!

Won't doing your own servicing on it affect your warranty

Won't doing your own servicing on it affect your warranty
:text-+1: I would think almost certainly not only would you invalidate your warranty, without stamps in the book the resale value may be affected. Your choice of course but I’d say this was THE major bug. If you’re dead set on going it alone I’d at least let Toyota handle the first service.

Techstream is an OBD reader that links to a laptop that the 100 owners use. I’ve no idea if it works with the 2018 200.

Warranty is a function of the work being done, and whether the failure was due to any work not done or done wrong. So if the diff fails but all service requirements were satisfied and nothing diff related was required.....you cant lose. If the oil change was say 40,000 km and you did it with the correct oil and can prove it by signing the log entry, have receipts....you cant be voiding your warranty.

Maybe you live in a country where dealers bluff their customers. We have pretty strict consumer protection laws. I am a mechanical engineer, spent my life in industrial automation, also do aviation maintenance ........I think in court I can take on a dealer/Toyota even without a lawyer.

So my question is did anyone know if there was anything new and fancy about these DPF equipped machines. I cant find anything, but the conservative professional part of my brain is curious.
Cheers!

Back