Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

200 series valve problems

David flavel

Country Flag
australia
Hi new to this site
I have a 2009 200 series diesel
with 230000km on clock it has started blowing black smoke mechanic comp tested it number 7 pot compression bounces up and down and assumed it could have a valve problem has anyone else had this problem

I’ve not seen it on here but it sounds like further investigation is required. One possibility I guess would be a broken valve spring. Another could be EGR goo buildup in the inlet port and pipework. Both should be easy to spot now you’ve isolated it to pot 7 but will require some low level disassembly. I’d be inclined to look for the spring first.
Good luck with it and Welcome to the forum.
@Dave 2000 or @frank rabbets may have come across this on other engines.

Bouncing compression is either the spring/s or gunk on the valve stem.

With a sticky valve engine idles rough but runs smooth at high revolutions

Rough running at idle and speed likely a spring.

Regards

Dave

What would cause a sticking valve Dave and would it persist or clear itself?

Normally EGR and combustion residue, short runs ect. Can occur after an overheating event.

You can rotate the engine until the valves are (supposedly) closed on that cylinder, and then pump air in through an injector port or glow plug hole if it has them, I have little experience with the 200 series engines.

Once air is flowing you will hear it coming out of the inlet trunking or exhaust if the valve is not closing however, if the valve is closing slowly you will get the misfire when running but no air will leak from the valves if the engine is off.

Difficult to diagnose without seeing it, you may be in for some stripping down?

Regards

Dave

Back