Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

2000 Prado 3.0L TX Limited - purchase questions

Obiaj

Country Flag
canada
Hi, I've spent the past few weeks reading up on the forum. Thanks for all the great info. I'm looking to purchase a 2000 Prado TX Limited, automatic, 3RZ-FE 2.7L engine, typo on the subject line, model GF-RZJ95W. It has about 250,000km. Current owner recently replaced front shock absorbers, accu, steering gear rubber, new battery, full service on undercarriage and other small stuff.

I'm planning to use it daily, not long distance though. Maybe occasionally drive couple hours in backcountry roads. I'm not planning to do serious offroading. But road condition is not good. Usually muddy, wet/flood, big potholes, etc.

What do you guys think about it? I know 250,000km is not really high for a well-maintained Prado. I am planning to use it for a few years. Anything i should look out for when i buy it? I will bring it to a mechanic shop to check out. Anything i should replace right the way?

Thanks for all the comments/thoughts.

Last edited:
I don't know much about about your engine but as a general rule i think rust around the rear end (underneath) is where the 90 series suffers most so get under it .

Thanks. I will definitely look underneath the car. The previous just serviced the undercarriage couple months ago. I don't know what that service included though.

The other potentially scary problem is auto gearbox failure due to trans fluid becoming contaminated by coolant if the radiator corrodes sufficiently to allow one to contaminate the other

Check that the autobox works exactly as it should and some evidence of regular coolant changes would be helpful. Perhaps be slightly wary of anything with a brand new radiator (ask some pointed questions)

The other thing is that these cars can be prone to some transmission backlash as they get older. The reason for it is very hard to track down once obvious causes have been ruled out, as several forum threads will testify. Check for a shunt as the gears change (I'm not sure to what extent autos get it, or whether its just a manual thing?). If you notice it, make sure you're happy to live with it in case it's tricky to cure

I don't think they change the radiator, at least not within the past two years. They also did a service on the chassis last year and replaced the upper ball joints, various bushings like sway bar/stabilizer bar bushing, control arm bushing, and coolant pump, etc. They also confirmed no coolant/oil leakage. I'm going to test drive and bring it to mechanic for check up in a few days. I'll watch out for auto transmission being smooth or not. Through the communication with the owner, the transmission is smooth, no "jerk". I specifically asked about this. Anyways, I'm excited to pick up this car. Thanks for the replies.

Back