Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

2002 battery/ABS/VSC?Traction and Brake lights on

Elkhunter

Country Flag
united_states
Ok This is a new vehicle to me. and this problem has been going on for about a month. It is intermittent, but this is how it goes down... First the battery light will come on followed by the voltage gauge spiking and then all the other warning lights come on. These lights include (when all on) the battery ABS VSC traction and brake light. The dealership said I needed a new alternator as it was putting too much power into the system so I had that changed but the problem still persists. I have checked all the wheel speed sensors with an ohm meter and the two fronts are constant at .95 and the two rear are constant at 1.25 so I think they are working. This seems to be an electrical problem but I'm not sure what the deal is. No fuses burned out???? My battery tests good. Anyone have a clue? Thanks:think:

Symptoms like this is normally caused by either the alternator plug or a missing/loose ground-strap somewhere. Can't remember where all the ground straps are, but there is one under the alternator somwhere, was it from the engine-mount-bolt to the chassis?

If it's an intermittent fault it does sound like a connection problem, I would check all ground points and battery connections firstly.
It does not sound like a wheel speed sensor issue, the Ohms values sound realistic, I would get busy with a multi meter checking voltage readings across ground points using a good known positive connection from the battery.

By the alternator plug do you mean the wire that comes off the alternator housing? This wire is bolted onto the housing. I'm not sure where all the ground points are or how to check voltage readings across them with a multimeter. This is sounding hopeful though, thank you for the help!

I'd vote for grounding straps, my bet is some are missing. See if a jump lead or two across the block/chassis/battery neg terminals cures it.

By the alternator plug do you mean the wire that comes off the alternator housing? This wire is bolted onto the housing. I'm not sure where all the ground points are or how to check voltage readings across them with a multimeter. This is sounding hopeful though, thank you for the help!
There is one single wire on a little bolt with a nut, and one plug with 3 wires.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back