Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

2004 Model CDL

Ian Rubie

Country Flag
uk
I have been reading some posts on IH8MUD that say 98 - 99 100's have the same CDL behaviour is 80's i.e. it automatically locks when you go into low range but 2000+ models have it so you have manual control.

I know about pin 7 or removing the plug from the transfer case but it seems on 2000+ models it should not be necessary. However my 2004 100 does it the old way and locks the CDL when I drop it into low. My CDL switch gives me manual control in high but does nothing in low. What do other 2000+ 100's do? Was the change mentioned on MUD a US only thing?

I'm happy to pull the plug on the transfer case but I'm curious.

Regards

Ian

Hi Ian
I did do the Pin 7 mod some years ago but It has been that long since I played with Low/Diff locks and cannot remember what did or not work but mine is a 2004 model and at the time seem to recall it did make a difference to the way I could drive it.
I think the only thing that did not seem to make sense was when in low etc the ABS switched off, not that it would do much at low speed.

Hi Steve,

Thanks for that. There could be a couple of reasons for the ABS going off in low. Firstly it is sometimes better to actually lock a wheel in certain situations when trying to stop. The designers might have thought low range = these situations so that is what they program into the system. Secondly it might be because the car thinks the CD is locked when it is in low box and maybe having it locked effects the way the ABS would operate i.e. a wheel without grip is being rotated via the locked diff so the ABS thinks that wheel actually has grip.

By doing the pin 7 mod / unplugging the transfer case sensor we are putting the car into a state it should not be in i.e. low range with open centre diff.

Cheers

Ian

Back