Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

2004 Toyota Landcruiser 120 series

chadr

Garage
Country Flag
england
Was browsing Landcruisers on eBay, as you do, and came across this 2004 LC4 120 series, which looked fairly decent inside and out.

Checked the MoT history and it seems like the usual corrosion issues underneath - I suppose it is 18 years old now.

What do you think - worth a closer look?

2004 Toyota Landcruiser 120 series

Particularly like
  • all underside very rusty and corroded
which describes mine but I think the MOT man has been too polite to put it quite like that.

Chad, I think anyone interested would need to look on the rust/corrosion issues alone, that 120 are known for, as you point out. Only minimum info supplied, which is strange from a dealer.
Normally they want to use a whole page like the "King", bigging their motors up.
Not sure if less is more here. Amazing what a valet can do to any old motor.

I must admit that an "upgrade" to a 120 is looking more and more appealing.

Previously I had my sights set on a 100 but the reality is that it is just too big to be practical, especially in an urban area like where I live*. and the impracticality would start grating on me soon enough. Always thought the 90 to be the "Goldilocks" option size-wise amongst the Landcruisers' of its day (compared to 100, 80, 70 etc.). So a 120, or dare I say even a 150, should be fine. ;)

Finding a decent one, at a price I'm willing to pay, is a completely different matter altogether.

* current everyday car is an Audi A6 saloon and I quite often have issues finding a parking space to fit that in, so a 100 is going to be a bigger problem.

Given the amount of rust on that MOT history I wouldn't touch it with someone else's barge pole!

They will flog it to someone who doesnt check MOT history and doesnt look underneath!

* current everyday car is an Audi A6 saloon and I quite often have issues finding a parking space to fit that in, so a 100 is going to be a bigger problem.

You have to watch the height on the 120's as well if you're parking in a multistorey!

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
You have to watch the height on the 120's as well if you're parking in a multistorey!
I'm used to checking the height as my 90 is probably 60-70mm taller than standard due to the SL and oversize tyres. Can't imagine a 120 is that much taller, if at all.

I considered it for a while because swambo was wistfully talking about her friends new LR , a freelander i think ? and girls just like newer stuff .

Didn't like the idea because i feel very confident her 90 will outlast the early 120's and remain trouble free as well , so i eventually put the option to her and she turned it down flat . She likes her truck ,everyone likes her truck , and never once has it crossed her mind it might let her down by not starting .

Unless its in considerably better condition that what you got i'd opt for the devil you know over the devil you don't .

Your 90 has reached an age now where people acknowledge and respect how well it was built and been cared for . You don't know what you've got until its gone because its hard to see what we see every day with fresh eyes .

Spend some money on a professional valet and polish up , money you will get back if you decide to sell even after looking at it with fresh eyes .

Its at that mileage where if the Injectors have not been done, They will need doing... So there's another couple of Grand...... Oh! and dont forget 'yer' SCV's .... That goes without saying...... :lol:

That's very true Shayne and that same mindset has made me stick with the 90 despite being on the verge of chopping it in several times. It's having the brake pipes repaired on Monday, so should be back on the road again next week! :thumbup:

I don't have bars but the factory rails are on. 1.8m is fine. The only place I have had a problem is in Paris. Even the tight ncp at London Charing cross is fine to park the 120 in.

What do you think - worth a closer look?

I know exactly where that is and by chance I'm driving down Rutland Rd on Monday on my travels. I can call to give it a once over if you like. Having gone through the "looking for a decent 120" experience ( and finding a decent one at the 10th attempt) I reckon I know what I'm looking at. In fairness its perhaps realistically priced but if its only the 4 spd auto then its not that cheap maybe.
As Higgy mentions, it would be useful to know if the injectors have been done as its an up to £1k job. 120 prices are all over the place though with lots of unrealistic prices being asked.

Last edited:
Watch out for ULEZ if you are within the M25. That will be with us in the next few years I believe. I think my 120 does not meet those, but fortunately I'm just outside it.

As for height, I use 1.9 as my minimum with the slightly larger tyres and it fits fine

@AndycruiserguyLomas - thanks for the kind offer Andy but I won't waste your time and will pass on this one. TBH it caught my attention because the body and interior seemed in pretty good nick. Don't really want to take on another rust bucket.

Yes, I'm sure ULEZ will be round the corner - I'm inside the M25 and only 1 mile ( as the crow flies) from the Greater London boundary.

Back