Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

200k miles

Tuskar

Country Flag
ireland
Hello all .
I am currently looking for a 120 D4D about 2007 is best I can afford . Most advertised land cruisers have very high miles like 200k miles , I know they are highly regarded vehicles , but are they not almost worn out at this mileage even with regular servicing ?

Absolutely.... No such thing as carefully used one owner landcruiser , These vehicles have the reputation of being highly reliable go anywhere vehicles and such mostly are 'thrashed' to hell with minimal servicing. I bought a high mileage 181k vehicle as it was what I could afford. My heart managed to rule my Head an all common sense was lost... Mine was purchased from a dodgy used car salesman. But If you factor in extra expenditures you are going to make, it will be a very good vehicle. Be prepared to change timing belt, Waterpump, Injectors x4@£300 ea , SCV valve , Suspension parts, bushes , Brake discs and pads. You should be fine. If I could give one piece of useful advice, Please stay away, if at all possible from the LC5 ....The cost of repairing the Air suspension and the touchscreen Navigation is almost half the price of the truck..

Hello all .
I am currently looking for a 120 D4D about 2007 is best I can afford . Most advertised land cruisers have very high miles like 200k miles , I know they are highly regarded vehicles , but are they not almost worn out at this mileage even with regular servicing ?

Welcome Tuskar, having just gone through the 120 buying process I would say research the marketplace, have patience and don't be afraid to say "it's not for me mate" and walk away.
Having spent a long weekend in Ireland on the bike a couple of weeks ago I'd say Landcruisers are not common and LR products even rarer. One thing is the majority of 120's I saw were the commercial model, which we don't get many of over here.
Look underneath before you look at the top, that can save time, one glance can make your mind uo to start with.
A good one will be out there, the one I bought was very good underneath ( the first place I looked) and it was all good from there but it was the 10th I viewed and I wouldn't have been afraid to walk away if it hadn't been right.
MD is right to say avoid the LC5 with its peculiarities, it was never on my shopping list.
One thing I found was the big difference between individual trucks in terms of engine,wind and road noise, something to bear in mind, as soon as I drove mine I knew I'd struggle to find a better one so I nabbed it and haven't regretted it for a second.
There are also factors which affect the price, manuals aren't worth as much as autos, 4 spd autos not as desirable as 5 spd autos, wheels on the tailgate worth less than underneath, leather worth more than cloth etc etc.
Hope this helps.

Absolutely.... No such thing as carefully used one owner landcruiser , These vehicles have the reputation of being highly reliable go anywhere vehicles and such mostly are 'thrashed' to hell with minimal servicing. I bought a high mileage 181k vehicle as it was what I could afford. My heart managed to rule my Head an all common sense was lost... Mine was purchased from a dodgy used car salesman. But If you factor in extra expenditures you are going to make, it will be a very good vehicle. Be prepared to change timing belt, Waterpump, Injectors x4@£300 ea , SCV valve , Suspension parts, bushes , Brake discs and pads. You should be fine. If I could give one piece of useful advice, Please stay away, if at all possible from the LC5 ....The cost of repairing the Air suspension and the touchscreen Navigation is almost half the price of the truck..

OK . I've had that experience with a Disco 3 .

My last experience was a Disco 3 and had to spend 4k on it in first year and bought from main dealer I soon traded it
I thought a landcruiser was a more simple basic less troublesome vehicle i.e electric handbrake air bags etc . Suppose they all have their woes.
What shocks me is the high mileage on these 10 year old cars, cant be much left in them and the price asked .
I struggle to find something less than 200k miles and costing 8 to 10,000 euro.
Was also looking at Pajeros and they are less pricy and seem a tough durable vehicle also .

Have you considered a Hilux? Somewhat randomly there seem to be more 8-12 year old 'Luxes about with low miles and plenty of life left in them.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back