Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

200k service. What would you do ??

Kieron

Country Flag
uk
Hi all
My 2004 100 4.2 td series is about to hit 200k it gets serviced regularly, by Toyota Sheffield But what other items should I treat it to at its next service ?
I was thinking steering fluid , brake flush.
Last service was engine oil filter, air filt, diff fluid change auto box fluid. I've recently changed the AHC hydraulic fluid due to a burst pipe.
Can you think of anything else
Is there a pollen filter ? My main dealer says no

200k miles isn’t very high, I wouldn’t get too excited. You didn’t mention transfer case? Brake fluid flush should be every 3 years (maybe even less in damp UK), PS fluid change maybe. Assuming the timing belt/tensioner/idler are up to date, you could also consider a coolant change. And a valve set of it hasn’t been done in the last 40-50k km (about 30k miles).

Last edited:
Valve set ???
I'll add the transfer case to the list of jobs at the next service
Thanks for your advice

No worries. By valve set I mean adjusting the inlet and exhaust valve clearances in the head

Is this a big job or a bread and butter job for my mechanic

That depends on what has been done previously, and what is already included in the coming 200k m service.

Valves is fairly easy, but you have to follow the book carefully, specially if you haven't done this type of double lifters before.

If it is serviced at a dealer, they probably don't do front wheel bearings and spindle bearings according to the book. Most dealers don't, as that makes the cost of their standard service un-competitive. And they make more money letting things break down and then sell you new parts.

At that age, the engine mounts might have lost some of their strength and agility. And, how are the UJs...

(Random from the top of my head)

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
That depends on what has been done previously, and what is already included in the coming 200k m service.

Valves is fairly easy, but you have to follow the book carefully, specially if you haven't done this type of double lifters before.

If it is serviced at a dealer, they probably don't do front wheel bearings and spindle bearings according to the book. Most dealers don't, as that makes the cost of their standard service un-competitive. And they make more money letting things break down and then sell you new parts.

At that age, the engine mounts might have lost some of their strength and agility. And, how are the UJs...

(Random from the top of my head)
Yeah unis would need checking - it’s kind of hard not knowing what the maintenance is like. Eg I’m pretty thorough checking stuff at every service 10k km service or 6 months so I’d be cleaning and repacking wheel bearings as needed along with replacing unis, bushes and steering joints. So if this hasn’t constantly beeen going on there could be a heap of shit that needs doing. But as far as routine stuff goes there shouldn’t be anything major.

A lot of local garages are hestitant about valve lashes especially with bridges - they know what’s at stake if they get it wrong (and they’re pretty easy to dislodge a collet). A lot wil refer you to a proper diesel mechanic and it’ll be expensive. As you say it’s not actually hard you just need to be careful and methodical (which is hard for some thay means)

Back