Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

2010 VDJ79 4.6L TD - thoughts on UK value?

SteveS

As some of you may know I've purchased the below specced 79 in Australia for a year long trip there. At the end of the trip I can either:

1 - sell it in Oz or
2 - container it back to UK and sell it here.

So thinking a long way ahead my head is turning to would it be worth it for me to ship back? There are certain advantages and disadvantages to both options. These trucks are as rare as hen's teeth in the UK which makes valuation that much harder

Some issues to consider:
A - it will be 9 years old and so import duty/VAT would likely be payable - but I could probably find somewhere to store for a year
B - it is an Aussie spec car and would need some mods to make it UK spec - from what I can see these will be very few......speedo change to miles from kph, not sure there will be much else.
C - there are a few things like HF/UHF which are relevant to an Australian market but not UK so are worthless

Toyota Landcruiser 2010 VDJ79R GXL cab chassis, single cab 2dr, manual 5spd 4x4 4.5DT. GVM upgrade to 3950kg. 100,000 miles once we have completed our journey, 2x 90L diesel tanks.

Landcruiser added extras: bull bar and side rails, driving lights, Warn 9.5 winch, front and rear ARB air lockers, ARB on--board compressor, dual battery, solar panel on gull wing locker (containing fridge slide (no fridge)), tow bar, 80l water tank under tray, electronic protection from rust system, Stanady water sensor (in fuel), 2nd spare wheel on cabin roof rack, VMS GPS navigation system (including Hema maps), Redarc BCDC1240 battery system, Barrett 950 HF radio, GME TX3120 UHF radio, map pockets and upgraded radio speakers. Full service history and assorted spares.

Any thoughts on value here in the UK - rough guesstimate???? Any issues you can think of that I haven't thought about? I've a good handle on shipping costs and processes.
IMG_8352[1].JPG

IMG_8344[1].JPG
IMG_8355[1].JPG
IMG_8348[1].JPG

Steve, Where will you be living/resident for the year you will be travelling, if you are a returning resident to the UK from outside the EU it is possible import duties and VAT will not be applied. Also if the vehicle is 10 years old it make the import process much easier……….

I would echo what Charlie says above. The big problem with VDJ's is passing emissions in the IVA. If it is 10 years old there is no emissions test and all it needs is an MOT. If you have owned and used it for at least a year abroad the IVA test is much simpler as it comes under Personal Import. Google it and you will see.

Having looked at values of these utes for the past couple of years, it strikes me that second hand values in OZ are extremely high, possibly far more than you would get in the UK. A couple of early ones (2008/9) were recently on eBay in the UK for £30000 plus VAT. Factor in £2,000 shipping and that will help in doing your sums. My worry would be that so few people know about these trucks in the UK (apart from on here!) that it might not have a huge market if you sell. Could be wrong???

Cool factor - massive!! But hard to put a sum on.

Reactions: Ben
I would echo what Charlie says above. The big problem with VDJ's is passing emissions in the IVA. If it is 10 years old there is no emissions test and all it needs is an MOT. If you have owned and used it for at least a year abroad the IVA test is much simpler as it comes under Personal Import. Google it and you will see.

Having looked at values of these utes for the past couple of years, it strikes me that second hand values in OZ are extremely high, possibly far more than you would get in the UK. A couple of early ones (2008/9) were recently on eBay in the UK for £30000 plus VAT. Factor in £2,000 shipping and that will help in doing your sums. My worry would be that so few people know about these trucks in the UK (apart from on here!) that it might not have a huge market if you sell. Could be wrong???

Cool factor - massive!! But hard to put a sum on.

Do you remember whether those ones 0n ebay were of a high spec, GXL, modded etc or just plain out of the box stuff? You're right about the value of oz cars - I think it must be due to import taxes in the first place. I noticed this in Africa (Zambia) too - out of the box new Troopy well over USD100k. Gulp. I won't have trouble selling it in either country but here in UK as you say it is a far more limited market so may to be patient or cut price. I think I heard that some who have imported have struggled with getting the right sales price for their truck (new)

In reply to your pm and as above..
Its a small market, but would be slightly increased if its in the spec as in the pics as theres a lot of tree surgeons /foresters liking them, i have someone after one at the moment...
The big but is price. I imported a new double cab hzj thinking there was a market but there wasnt. I took a hit on it as there are lots of high spec rangers and the likes for a lot less, there are literlay one or two people who would pay the right money for one.
Why bother bringing it back if you are just going to sell it? Are you wnating to make something on it ? If thats the case its a massive risk, but depends n what it cost in the forst place plus the uplift of shipping, duty, vat etc.
Theres probably ways around some of that as previously stated.
And as stated keep out of iva territory and youll be ok!
Price, well as my accountant once said, as much as someone will be prepared to pay, not exactly helpfull, but in all honesty its right!sorry!
Ive been working as a rough guide as exchange rates fluctuate that the price you see a truck for in Aus dollars is what it will be in stirling by the time its shipped, duty etc and registered, as a very rough guide!

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
In your shoes, if I liked the truck enough to want to keep it then I'd bring it back but to sell on I'd do so in Oz and avoid all the fees and hassle and the uncertainty of finding a buyer over here to pay the price you want. I just can't see anyone wanting a work vehicle of this type paying £30K+ when for less money a new Hilux etc can be had with warranty, excellent service and spares back up etc. I guess this limits the audience to us enthusiasts or someone wanting one for the same reason you bought it and there's a much greater chance of that down under. JMO

Awesome truck Steve.

Not much to add that hasn't been said. For what it's worth... I might be inclined to advise you to bring it back if you love it and don't plan to part with it. Chances are you'll never find another in the UK and... you'll spend a lot of long lonely nights on the internet looking.

If you plan to bring it back to sell for a profit I would think long and hard.

Over ten years old and the cost of making it legal for registration over here is negligible. You'll probably need a fog light for the MoT.

Good luck

OD

IMO, and I may be wrong.....................

It might be even harder to sell in the UK being its only a 2 seater. I would have thought a duel cab/76 wagon would sell easier just for the fact it can be used by families etc. :think:

Interesting its got the brown interior, thats pretty rare on the new VDJ LC's, most people opt for grey and I'm not even sure you can still get brown. :ugeek:

If you want to make some money shipping vehicles back..................

You should ship some 40's back!

I regularly see them for $2-4k for ones with little rust! :shifty:

Back