Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

2017 70 Series.

Ben

Guru
Country Flag
australia
After 30 continuous years of production, it was looking very much like Toyota were about to kill off their mighty 70 series.

But its now looking like that isnt the case! :dance:

And with massive investment bringing the vehicle up to Ancap 5 safety standards and the engine up to Euro 5 emissions I wonder if Toyota are planning on breaking into new markets. :pray:

With the death of the iconic Defender their is clearly a gap in the market for a strong, rugged vehicle like this, certainly in the UK and Europe anyway. :think:

http://www.caradvice.com.au/452116/...m=fbpost&utm_campaign=forum_affiliate_program

After 30 continuous years of production, it was looking very much like Toyota were about to kill off their mighty 70 series.

But its now looking like that isnt the case! :dance:

And with massive investment bringing the vehicle up to Ancap 5 safety standards and the engine up to Euro 5 emissions I wonder if Toyota are planning on breaking into new markets. :pray:

With the death of the iconic Defender their is clearly a gap in the market for a strong, rugged vehicle like this, certainly in the UK and Europe anyway. :think:

http://www.caradvice.com.au/452116/...m=fbpost&utm_campaign=forum_affiliate_program

That'll do nicely. :clap:

What will be the competition then, just the Mercedes G for the moment) ?

I dont believe it will have any competition if were talking about the pickup/ute version which is what that article above focuses on.

Currently there is the Nissan Patrol and Defender but production of both of those vehicles is ending this year.

AFAIK the G Wagon isnt available as a pickup and its days of being used as a farm vehicle are over IMO as its marketed more as a luxury vehicle than a farm/working vehicle now.

Granted some users still use it for its original purpose, like the Australian Army who are replacing their aging fleet of Izuzu powered Defenders with G's, but I cant imagine anymore UK farmers are going to be buying G's and putting hay in the back of them.

Some used to, I know of a few UK farms still using 80's G Wagons, but not many. :think:

The only other live axled vehicle in this sort of size range will be the Jeep and they are reportedly bringing out a Wrangler based pickup/ute next year although I very much doubt it will have the load carrying capacity of the 70 series. :icon-biggrin:

Please sell then in UK

there is current uncertainty whether or not the new Hilux will be available here with new 2.8 litre engine
they are launching it with 2.4 and saying that will be the only option

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Would be great to see these new 70s in the UK.

I dont believe it will have any competition if were talking about the pickup/ute version which is what that article above focuses on.

Currently there is the Nissan Patrol and Defender but production of both of those vehicles is ending this year.

AFAIK the G Wagon isnt available as a pickup and its days of being used as a farm vehicle are over IMO as its marketed more as a luxury vehicle than a farm/working vehicle now.

Granted some users still use it for its original purpose, like the Australian Army who are replacing their aging fleet of Izuzu powered Defenders with G's, but I cant imagine anymore UK farmers are going to be buying G's and putting hay in the back of them.

Some used to, I know of a few UK farms still using 80's G Wagons, but not many. :think:

The only other live axled vehicle in this sort of size range will be the Jeep and they are reportedly bringing out a Wrangler based pickup/ute next year although I very much doubt it will have the load carrying capacity of the 70 series. :icon-biggrin:
the G is available in a commercial version here in Spain , including a pickup , with vinyl seats , rubber mats on the load area but still priced at €60000 ! .proper 4x4s are less popular in this part of Spain at least , with lots if rural folk choosing to run Renault kangoo 4x4s & Dacias

Reactions: Ben
Correct "Goodoldboy"

A G Professional is available.

If my very well informed sources are correct, the RHD 70-Series is being built in Portugal for their respective marked.

As for the Toyota-compliance Euro5, forget it. Euro6 is whats rocking the boat after September 01.

The Petrol powered 70-Series is good to go with Euro6.

Toms Fahrzeugtechik from Markt Bibart in Germany had a Euro6 converted Hzj79SiCa on display in Bad Kissingen on the show late May. It requires a Turbo & massive electronics among others to pass.

Untill then he will convert as many Hzj78/79 to the current legaly required Euro5 as he possibly can.

Need it over here.
looks of people upset on Hilux forum about the new model, it is being released in many countries with new 2.4 and 2.8 litre engines. But it seems that the UK will only get the 2.4 litre version. Which seems crazy.
the 150 lc comes with a 2.8 lump

Need it over here.
looks of people upset on Hilux forum about the new model, it is being released in many countries with new 2.4 and 2.8 litre engines. But it seems that the UK will only get the 2.4 litre version. Which seems crazy.
the 150 lc comes with a 2.8 lump
Could it be that the LC is a 'car' and the HiLux is a commercial vehicle as far as emissions go?

It would be great if the 70 did come over here and take up the baton where the Defender left off. There's just one thing that might get in the way of that…the British fantasy that the Land Rover is 'The Best 4x4xfar'.

Last edited:
Back