Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

2022 model recall

Rob Cowell

Country Flag
wales
First ever new car. First ever recall notice. The software that is supposed to prevent you starting the car if you run out of Ad Blue doesn't work. Wonder how many people will go through the inconvenience of visiting the dealer, at best getting a courtesy Yaris for the day, to get that "fixed" ?

It will be like all those who went to the dealers to have their VW's "fixed" in the light of the "emission scandal" and will end up with a vehicle that runs less well and has other software induced glitches added .

I wonder if it de-rates when it runs out of DEF or just merrily keeps on going as normal .

Having had a fair bit to do with various DEF systems they are fickle at the best of times and it would be throwing up errors all over the place it it had run out of DEF ..... I would have thought being able to start the vehicle was a safety issue and would enable it to be driven to a safe place or loaded onto a recovery vehicle should it run out of DEF.... every vehicle I know will start but not rev over 1000 rpm if it has no DEF or as in the case of one vehicle range I know the DEF level sender is prone to failure so even if it has a full tank the ECU says No.... not good on a 180k vehicle . DEF related issues are the biggest vehicle stopper in the Ag and Plant world.... and also eye wateringly expensive to fix because most parts are modular so individual parts can't be bought .

Many Plant and Ag vehicles have the DEF system "turned off" by remapping ....

According to the letter, disabling the start is to conform to "UN regulations" which sounds quite a lot like cow poo. EU, possibly. UN, I think you're making it up. Or does UN mean something other than United Nations in this context?

Anyway much more annoying is the stupid tyre pressure warning which tells me one or more tyres is under inflated. But the tyre inflation screen says they're all OK. As does my pressure gauge.

Although even more annoying for a car that gets driven around a farm where you're in and out opening and closing gates is the stupid no seat belt bell that gets louder and louder until you plug the belt in behind your back and sit on it.

UNnecessary !

Sure you've already checked but its not moaning about the spare is it?

I hate those seat belt alarms - is there no way to turn the thing off with techsteam?

Easiest way to sort the seatbelt alarm is buy one of those things all the Greek taxi drivers seem to use...... a seat belt buckle with no seat belt .....put it in and the car thinks the belt is done up.... I don't think any cars are as smart as Ag stuff yet where we have operator presence switches in seats....

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
There are definitely operator presence switches. If you are the passenger you can hover over the seat for a second and the alarm resets. But it doesn't believe drivers can hover. I have heard it can be disabled with TechStream. I just havent got round to reinstalling that on a new laptop.

I disabled seatbelt bleep on my Hilux with this method.
might work on other Toyotas

It's Land Cruiser not a Hilux. Nothing as mechanically oikish as button to reset the trip. That'll be somewhere in touchscreen menu probably. I haven't even worked out where the regular odometer is yet, other than the 3 seconds it pops up for when you press the start button.

It's Land Cruiser not a Hilux. Nothing as mechanically oikish as button to reset the trip. That'll be somewhere in touchscreen menu probably. I haven't even worked out where the regular odometer is yet, other than the 3 seconds it pops up for when you press the start button.
It was worth a mention . The landcruiser and Hilux share a lot in common, it would have probably worked on a 120 series

Back