Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

24 to 12 volt conversion

Jason Read

Country Flag
new_zealand
Hello, I would like to do a 24 to 12 volt conversion on my 1992 80 series 1hd t. I was thinking of running the two batteries in parallel as I am putting my aux battery in the rear. The reason for doing it this way is I 4x4 in remote areas with no cell coverage etc and often solo. If I ever get a flat battery with my 24 v setup I am stuffed. I use my winch a lot to recover firewood logs so 1500 cca from two batteries would be handy. The other reason is I can also then carry the likes of a Noco boost or some other jump starter for emergencies. Does this sound like a good idea? Anyone else done this? Thanks everyone.

Have a look @Chris ’s setup. He overlands in remote areas and has set his up to be most resilient. I believe he has one battery as the starter battery alone with a split charge relay to the second battery. This prevents one battery bringing the second one down if it becomes faulty. You can parallel the batteries via the split charge solenoid/relay if you get the right relay. A third leisure battery then runs leisure type stuff through a DCDC charger.

Hello, I would like to do a 24 to 12 volt conversion on my 1992 80 series 1hd t. I was thinking of running the two batteries in parallel as I am putting my aux battery in the rear. The reason for doing it this way is I 4x4 in remote areas with no cell coverage etc and often solo. If I ever get a flat battery with my 24 v setup I am stuffed. I use my winch a lot to recover firewood logs so 1500 cca from two batteries would be handy. The other reason is I can also then carry the likes of a Noco boost or some other jump starter for emergencies. Does this sound like a good idea? Anyone else done this? Thanks everyone.

There's a good thread on here that Towpack has linked to. You can get the starter on trade me from a place across the ditch called Auto 8 or I found this in Canterbury. https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/ca...10.htm?rsqid=3b6013ba35d2406081089792f5fcaae2

As for the NOCO boost, It won't turn it over, Get something bigger.

You could also try Robson and Francis for the starter. Beware there are 2 sizes of gear. There’s one tooth different.

Back