Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

24V

fridayman

Garage
I want to go and look at a 94 auto but not sure which engine it has. What year did the 24V come out? And when did the 12V end? How would I tell the difference between the 2 otherwise?

Right, the 24 valve was introduced in 95 and the turbo 12 valve was discontinued in the 80 in this country. We are of course talking about diesels here. The 24 valve was intruduced with a new dash so if all the switches are flat then they its a 24 vlave. If there are any round switches like this is not a 24 valve:
toy1009-250.jpg

If you open the bonnet then you will see loads of vacuum pipes and it says 24 valve on the engine as it has EGR. One thing to remember is that all UK 24 valves are manual due to emissions issues. You can get import 24 valves but they usually have no difflocks. All the UK 24 valve manuals have aircon apart form the GS which there are very few of.

Also because of emissions the 24 valve can be very sluggish at low rpm when compared with 12 valve so you will most probably need to get the injection pump tweaked

Im sure there is more but i cant remember of the top of my head.

{admin edit: changed 25 to 24 valve on request}

Attachments

• toy1009-250.jpg
    toy1009-250.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 90
God I love this site :)

Thanks Rob. This is helping me narrow down what I am looking for i.e. a 95+ UK spec 80 manual non-GS. What should I pay for one with, and without, service history?

Hmm not sure, I would say you will need at least £4500 for an OK one but someone recently bought one for £3k :shock: They have all gone up in price since I bought mine so I cant really be much help. I'm sure someone else will

TO ADMIN: Could you please change 25 valve to 24 valve, thanks.

If it helps. I picked up a 1998 R-plate 80 24v manual with 167k on the clock with next to no history and something ridiculous like 8 owners for £2850 earlier in the year. I had to travel 440 miles up North to get it mind, it was suprisingly powerful and absolutely fine cruising on the motorway at 85mph and even returned circa 25mpg.

I only had it for a few days and then I sold it onto another dealer who I think exported it.
They do come around now and again, but because of the rarity of the 80 now in the UK do be prepared to travel to collect your new machine.

Keep your eye out on eBay, Pistonheads, 4x4 forum classifieds.
I found the 1998 24v on another forum nothing to do with 4x4s or Toyotas it was advertised on a German car forum.
Expect to spend a bit of money on replacing bits and pieces on it when you get it. Depending on who owned it you'll probably find various bits and pieces will need replacing.

I would be fairly happy to pay £4500 for one. That would leave a few quid to replace the exhaust and fix any bits that need attention, before I start the overland mods. If I got one for £2850, drinks are on me :)

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Do watch out for the manual not wanting to drop down into 2nd, such as as roundabouts etc. By no means are they all like this, bit it is not an uncommon fault I believe. I drove one that had this. Caught me unaware. Many people live with it, but it is another bargaining chip if you are looking to talk someone down in price.

Chris

Chris said:
Do watch out for the manual not wanting to drop down into 2nd, such as as roundabouts etc.
I have that, you just got to learn to double declutch. A more worrying fault with manuals in general are gears that pop out. I only discovered that my 1st gear pops out while descending a very steep hill at Lincomb.

Rob said:
Hmm not sure, I would say you will need at least £4500 for an OK one but someone recently bought one for £3k :shock:

That was me :D but it is a GS and I had to drive 700 miles round trip to get it.

Regards
James

jeellison said:
Rob said:
Hmm not sure, I would say you will need at least £4500 for an OK one but someone recently bought one for £3k :shock:

That was me :D but it is a GS and I had to drive 700 miles round trip to get it.

Regards
James

What condition was it in?

Hello,

There was a oil slick in the boot as it had been used to carry crane parts and the seats aren't too pretty. Various scuffs and marks on the body but I suppose for its age aint to bad. It also had 118,000 on the clock. Mechanically seekms sound and has just sailed through a MOT.

You can see it here

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... TQ:GB:1123

Best Regards
James

jeellison said:
Hello,

There was a oil slick in the boot as it had been used to carry crane parts and the seats aren't too pretty. Various scuffs and marks on the body but I suppose for its age aint to bad. It also had 118,000 on the clock. Mechanically seekms sound and has just sailed through a MOT.

You can see it here

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... TQ:GB:1123

Best Regards
James

Nice find. I like a car that was used to carry crane parts! :)

Cheers. Everyone seems to think I got a bargain although I did take a risk as I know nothing about these vehicles and paid a £500 deposit for him to take it off ebay.

Best Regards
James

Yes, I imagine it was quite a handful at the time. ;)

Chris

Rob said:
All the UK 24 valve manuals have aircon apart form the GS which there are very few of.

That's not strictly true Rob, Mine is a GS & it has Aircon & Cruise control.

And no ABS! :D

Mine has cruise control but no air con. Well at least I think it doesnt have air con, wheres the air con button?

Best Regards
James

To the right & above the fan speed buttons.

Back