Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

255 85 16

Josh Tagg

Country Flag
uk
Has anyone got 255 85 16 on their 80? I've found some toyo open country mt in this size and they're 100 quid each which seems a very good price. They're the same height as 285 75 near enough just wondered if anyone thought the width makes a difference? Pictures of them on would be nice too cheers

I used to run these Josh. They were the Cooper ST which you can't get now. They looked a little skinny but fine with spacers. They were a bit like an AT+ and incredible off road.

If you speak nicely to Gary820 he might show you his as he's running the same tyre.

IMGP4094.JPG
IMGP4092.JPG

I think they were Josh yes, but it's many many years ago.

I'd say the 3cm makes all the difference. :icon-biggrin:I used to run 255 85's BFG M/T2 on an 80. Like Chris says they are good off road with a smaller more concentrated contact patch but not as good on road as a 275 or 285. Technically you are under tyreing the truck from an insurance point of view.

I'd say the 3cm makes all the difference. :icon-biggrin:I used to run 255 85's BFG M/T2 on an 80. Like Chris says they are good off road with a smaller more concentrated contact patch but not as good on road as a 275 or 285. Technically you are under tyreing the truck from an insurance point of view.
Good point Andy, probably worth extra 15 quid a tyre to get 285 75s then (out of stock currently). That's what I've currently got but a couple are low and doing a few miles this year will deffo need some more before the big trip

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I used to run them.on my 80.

Much better on fuel with the 255 then 285.

I prefer a tall narrow tyre as it cuts through mud better then some thing wider.

My next set of tyres will be 255 I expect

I think that's the size of my muds. But I'm a long way from my garage at mo to check.
Edit. Found the original thread I purchased them from. Same size.

Last edited:
Thanks chaps it's a tough choice, many pros and cons to everything as per

Best couple of piccies I could find at mo.
20171125_150730.jpg 20170430_181957.jpg

Found a couple of pics on the 255's

2014-12-27 19.55.25.jpg

20160820_091302.jpg

They haven't been fitted for a while now tbh, they live in the garden shed.

Across the tread these don't measure 255, more like 220. It drives nicer on the bigger tyres.

Personally, I’m sure they’ll perform better than most in the gloop, but on asphalt on the wet they well be a bit skittish.

I’d prefer something wider for general use on an 80

JMHO

Personally, I’m sure they’ll perform better than most in the gloop, but on asphalt on the wet they well be a bit skittish.

I’d prefer something wider for general use on an 80

JMHO

The only time I had issues In mud was on the skinny one's. No matter what they wouldn't bite or dig through, lockers in etc too. Everyone else drove through no problem. Including the vehicle that reversed so I could winch off them.
Wet roads were fun lol

I found the opposite. At Lincomb there was a hill no one was getting up. I gave it a go, no lockers just in drive. Up it went. I loved them and on the road they behaved perfectly. No reason to think they'd be otherwise. Full muddies might be different I guess. But big fat tyres like a 285 are far more likely to suffer from floating. The good thing with the 255 is they are a true 33"

Strange as the same tyres.
They behaved well, I mean fun in the wet as in provoked fun :icon-biggrin::whistle:

Driven lanes etc on them no problems, just that muddy time. They were like slicks. We're talking north Yorkshire mud too lol.
Even the new 35" coopers just plow on through.

They were good in snow and didn't follow ruts as much, easier to manoeuvre in car parks as less rubber to turn.

Remember Gary you have over 1000 HP on tap in your Benzine powered machine. Arf arf.

I'd probably stick the centre locker in at the lights Gary

235 represent!

I havent done any mad mud plugging but the usual lanes and tracks and some fairly mental sand/gravel. Never really had a problem. However on tarmac in Ireland in the rain, i really really wanted something wider.

Back