Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

255 85 r16 on a lifted Colorado???

roy90

Hello all
I've read a few threads on here about fitting 255 85's but can't seem to find a definate answer...
I've a 1998 Lwb Colorado (lifted on old man emu suspension) I had a set of 285 75's with -32mm offset and had minor rubbing after the hammer/grinder treatment to the arches but decided to shift them on and am back on standard rims and tyres. Like most I'm lookIng for max height gain, without the rubbing so thinking that 255 85 on standard rims would be best!
I've recently put 30mm spacers on which leave the standard rims nice and flush in the arches.
Can anyone confirm if I could put the 255 85 r16 option on with comfort using the 30mm spacers and standard alloys?? It has approx 1.5" lift....
Cheers in advance for advice!!

Hi ther Roy :)

Sorry i didn't return your PM after I picked it up, I've been away camping since Friday & even though I went into built up areas never had a good enough signal to return your question to me.

I have the 255/85/16 tyre size fitted with a 40mm suspension lift running standard rims with no spacers. In everyday use and most off roading I experience no rubbing from the tyres even though I still have the mud guards fitted. I do get rubbing when the suspension is pushed to its extremes of travel, but have never noted any damage to the tyres or the vehicle as a result.

I'm uncertain as to why I experience no rubbing compared to others that have the same size tyre fitted experiencing a little rubbing. This may be due to having the camber, castor & toe set up on a laser alignment jig immediately follow having the tyres fitted. If you read some of the threads by KZJ90 he explains in detail how it can be possible to gain up to an extra 15mm clearence between the tyre and the inner rear of the front wheel arch with clever adjustment of these setting. I discussed this with the jig technician prior to him starting work on the truck. It may also be in some part to the fact that every truck is slightly different to the next. Hell mine even has slightly different gaps and measurements from side to side!!!

I have read in the past that some people have experienced more rubbing with spacers fitted than without them fitted! Go figure?!

Best thing to do is get the tyres fitted and work from there. With your 1.5" lift you're already 95% there :)

Many thanks Steven for the great advice there! Your cruiser really looks great!! Like most of us modding our jeeps I'm looking for max clearance so il read up on the camber/suspension alignment and if it makes sense il prob risk the 255's and make the adjustments after fitting, otherwise I can get my hands on 265's this week.... I'm making a decision soon tho!
On another note, do you rate the b.f km 2's as a decent all round tyre? My local tyre man is a b.f supplier and can do reasonable prices!

This may interest you Roy;

265/70/16 30.61/10.43/16 standard fitment

265/75/16 31.65/10.43/16 increase in diameter over std fitment 26.42mm extra ground clearence over std fitment +13.21mm (+13.21mm)

305/70/16 32.81/12.00/16 increase in diameter over std fitment 55.88mm extra ground clearence over std fitment +27.94mm (+14.73mm)

285/75/16 32.83/11.22/16 increase in diameter over std fitment 56.39mm extra ground clearence over std fitment +28.19mm (+00.25mm)

255/85/16 33.07/10.04/16 increase in diameter over std fitment 62.48mm extra ground clearence over std fitment +31.24mm (+03.05mm)

And yes I do like my KM2's, page 3 on this topic viewtopic.php?f=14&t=13033&hilit=km2+snow&start=20

I also run 255/86r16's, BFG KM2's.

It gives a great height increase, albeit my 95 also has a body lift.

I have 30mm spacers, front mudguards removed, no probs whatsoever.

Downside with the size.....lack of tyre choice. I would like a set of road biased 255's as I find the bfg's arent quiet, but cant find anything the same size.

I may even buy in a set of 285/75r16's on a set of allows with a +15 offset less than I have to compensate for the extra width.

Or maybe wait until the bfg's need replacing and look at it all then as I would like AT's really, and wouldnt need to faff about changing tyres etc.

As regards odd measurements, when dead ahead one tyre is slightly outside the arch, the other slightly inside, no-point worrying on a 16 year old truck.

Pete

Pete, the Cooper STs came in 255.85.16 - same size and lovely on road. I have 3 nearly new ones. Find a 4th and you can make up a set!

Chris

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
That tread type is the ST? Is it like an AT?

Photo's man, photos!

Pete

wobbly said:
That tread type is the ST? Is it like an AT?

Photo's man, photos!

Pete

There you go Pete.

Attachments

• 78085-82431-main--935.jpg
    78085-82431-main--935.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 547
Thats the new pattern, is that the same as yours Chris?

Pete

New pattern? There is no new pattern ST. The ST Max if that is what you are referring to is a totally different tyre. There were pics of mine for sale but the post seems to have expired. Don't think I kept the pics Pete but I shall have a delve.

Ah, here they are - well one.

[attachment=0:1pqy212b]P1000827.JPG[/attachment:1pqy212b]

Chris

Attachments

• P1000827.JPG
    P1000827.JPG
    161.2 KB · Views: 545
I dont know about others but I've always considered the Cooper ST to be mid way between an A/T & M/T tyre, but I've always been a Cooper fan, so may be slightly bias :) ;)

Here's a photo of a clean one, what a lovely looking tyre :)

33x125r17cooperst.jpg

and compared to a BFG A/T & a GGAT2

all_terrain_large.jpg
generalgrabberat2.jpg

Although when you see a GGAT2 in the flesh they are very hard not to like, good looking tread pattern with useful looking side treads :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

This is an ST Maxx :)

Disco-ST-Maxx-217x300.jpg

Steve, they are that exactly. Halfway between AT and MT. However, what I found was that with them being only 255 they gained an additional advantage and on my 80 at Lincomb one year they were astonishing. I really do rate them as a tyre.

Chris

hey pete,
as chris said, that camskill picture is the st pattern, the st maxx is a new very nice looking tyre but not available in the 255 option( it is avl in the 285 size tho! )

Chris i would relieve you of them tyres if i could only make up a set! have contacted cooper uk and they emailed me back saying that the st is not available in the 255 size anymore due to this new legislation....(something to do with the dirty oil etc..) :thumbdown:
it seems that b.f muds are the only tyre avl in the 255....

Roy, I figure there must be a couple of STs somewhere in the back of a tyre garage. You find some, there are three here waiting! I agree about no 255 in the UK but I was told that there were producing them somewhere.

Chris

i will be ringing around a few places this week and if i track down 2 in that size i will take your 3, otherwise i'll be ordering the b.f muds...

The other two tyres that I have are bfg muds in 255 but they are the old MT pattern rather than the newer KM2s which I have to say are a very nice tyre. I need to find someone running the ST already who'd like some spares.

Chris

With 2" lift and 1.5" body lift, I was able to fit 255/85R16's with the original alloys (+15 offset)... without an ounce of rubbing!

When I replaced the rims to gain a -13 offset, rubbing occured in the front AND rear. I heated/bent/cut the plastic trim, and had a professional trim the body seam on the front.

Check my build up for more info.

I find the lack of choice of 255/85's a bit frustrating.

Its a great size tyre, but nowhere can I find an AT pattern to replace the BFG KM2's I have fitted.

The only reason I want AT's is that 99.9% of my driving is on either roads or solid tracks.

Likewise, if I could find a couple of ST's I would buy Chris's 3.

I may well swap to 275/75r16's and sacrifice a small drop in order to be able to fit AT's.

Been looking at this for ages and just cant see any other practical option.

Pete

pete,
tyre sizes and stock appear very low everywhere the past few months so i would say that you have held out this long i would give it another few weeks and see if tyre stocks replenish themselves and you may find that size in some other brand! i emailed camskill and they are getting the new st maxx in but not sure what sizes, they said cooper will be sending them within a month?? but then again ive heard dates plenty of times before and been let down... :thumbdown:
all fruit failing the 265 75 r16 maybe a runner? coopers measure in on target and you would only be down half an inch under your diff(i think... but open to correction) and its an available size! i think craddocks or paddocks have the st maxx atm...

Back