Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

255 85 r16 on a lifted Colorado???

roy90 said:
.............all fruit failing the 265 75 r16 maybe a runner? coopers measure in on target and you would only be down half an inch under your diff(i think... but open to correction) and its an available size!...
18mm or expressed another way 71% of an inch, certainly nearer to 3/4" than 1/2" :D :D :D ;)

sae70 said:
18mm or expressed another way 71% of an inch, certainly nearer to 3/4" than 1/2" :D :D :D ;)

OT...... Was looking in Wicks yesterday for some pipe fittings... did not hae my sample piece with me.... do you think I could find the right bloody size.. 15mm 22mm 30mm, 1/4 1/2 3/4 1 inch available.... What's the use!

/rant over

:o Ohhh 21% more of an inch that I thought.... Definately not worth it so!!! ;)

thanks for all the input to date on this topic people! :thumbup:
mind is made up now after reading many threads, fitting some 255 85's b.f muds and a correct geometry set up to see if i can get away without rubbing and if not, then il do a B.L...
That leads me onto my next quest for advice.... have been reading how much off a beep of a job replacing the wishbone and cam adjuster bolts and bushings can be! had a look in under my cruiser and the lower bushing are showing cracks in the rubber and the nuts on the cam adjusters are rusty, so to pre-emp much cursing and swearing when i go to get the geo done (same time as getting tyres fitted) can we try high light the do's and dont's that people have experienced with this??

Plan is to replace upper and lower control arm bushes when im stripping the hubs off and il be doing the steering rack bushes and track rod ends also just so i know i wont have to be tackling these again in the next few months after getting the geo sorted!
Il inspect the ball joints at this stage too and if its a case of feck it, replace them too would roughtrax ball joints be up to the job or would ye go for oem? (the wallet twitches in pain)
Have already done the arb bushes and put in the longer arb links!
Thanks again for your advice!!

I may have been lucky with my caster bushes as the tyre fitting place had no trouble adjusting them after fitting the KM2's :D

Others on the other hand have had massive troubles getting them to budge :twisted: :!: :!: :!:

I often read of people replacing items even when they appear to not have any wear just because they are doing a job nearby :think: I don't :!: If it isn't broke I don't fix it and sometimes if it is broke I still don't fix it :shhh: Lol :lol: Each to their own I guess :) Either way though, replace or adjust your lower wishbone bushes will do well from a good soaking with penetrating fluid and if I had my choice it would be PB Blaster :) But its not easily available in this country, so I use Plus Gas for penetration, GT85 for lubing and Halfords Shock and unlock for loosening :thumbup:

I gave the area all around the wishbone bushes, bolts and nuts a good spray with both GT85 (at first) then mostly with Plus Gas every other day for at least a couple of weeks before having the tyres fitted and as I said they were easy to adjust and so I guess would have been easy to remove :)

Here's a few useful links :)

Caster Correction......

Tight nuts

PB Blaster Penetrating Catalyst........

Good luck & good tyre choice :thumbup: :D

Guys,

Just wondering then, would a set of 265/75/16 KM2's rub at all on a standard Colorado with only 2" OME lift? I know the 265/75/16 AT's occasionally rub on full lock...and the KM2's are marginally bigger in diameter (31,7" vs 31,9")...

If that is the case I'll rather stick to the 265/70/16 KM's and make the Asfir plates work a bit harder... ;)

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
It's less about rolling diameter as we have said in the past. It's the distance across the tyre from the opposite inner edge to the outer edge. ie, diagonally through the tyre. When you turn the wheel it's not the middle of the tyre that catches, it's the edge. If you didn't turn the wheel you could probably get a set of 35" in there. Some tyres have a blocky square tread. Some are far more rounded like a normal car tyre. So you could go with a slightly larger than normal tyre in one type and it clear and in a different one, it catches. The more extreme a tyre, the squarer they are. If you get a good mud terrain, they will even have side lugs. Catching on those could be terrible. Where the 255 scores is that it is narrow so the difference between straight diameter and slant diameter is a minimum. It's basic geometry really. The Copper ST in 255 (which we don't seem to be able to get anymore) scores big as it is a rounded tread, but more aggressive than an AT and measures a true 33"

Chris

What irritates me is that the 255/85r16 ST is available in the USA, so I dont get why I cant order them as a special delivery for non-road use (ie on my own land), but apparently not.

Rant over.

On the plus side, tyres seem more expensive in America!

Pete

That's interesting Pete. Didn't know that. Wonder what Camskill have to say.

C

Wasn't the lack of supply of tyres in the Euro zone, due to the new 'S' rating for tyres :think: :?:

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=7276

edit - and some bizzarness about dirty oil......... :? :?: :!:

Thats what I was told, that they arent being imported cos they dont meet the new regs.

I did explain that it wasnt for road use so not relevant, but I think I made it into the too difficult box.

I've had tyres from camskill before, might have a word with them.

I am very very reluctant to go smaller (cos smaller also seem to be wider) but I think i am wasting some good KM's on road use, would prefer a set of more road orientated tyres with the km's as a second set.

I should've bought that set of road tyres you saw on ebay Chris, the ones in Chesterfield, they only went for £100.00!

Pete

No! Really, Pete you missed a bargain there mate.

Chris

Thats the bit where you were meant to say I had a close call as they were rubbish and potentially dangerous, in order to make me feel better about missing them.....

Pete

Just a wee update and a big thank you to all of ye I pestered about tyre/suspension set up's! Took the cruiser of the road for 10 days, took every bar out with a bushing, ball joints,track rods etc etc... Replaced them with Roughtrax parts and superpro bushings, wax oiled it and put it back together! 4 wheel alignment and then fitted b.f km2's in 255/85 r16 and no rubbing at all even running with the 30mm spacers. Very happy, little noise, stiffer ride, looks great! Now to get out there and enjoy!
Thanks again for the advice/opinions!:icon-biggrin:
Will add a few pics in the next day or so!

Just a wee update and a big thank you to all of ye I pestered about tyre/suspension set up's! Took the cruiser of the road for 10 days, took every bar out with a bushing, ball joints,track rods etc etc... Replaced them with Roughtrax parts and superpro bushings, wax oiled it and put it back together! 4 wheel alignment and then fitted b.f km2's in 255/85 r16 and no rubbing at all even running with the 30mm spacers. Very happy, little noise, stiffer ride, looks great! Now to get out there and enjoy!
Thanks again for the advice/opinions!:icon-biggrin:
Will add a few pics in the next day or so!
Hi Roy,

Can you please post a picture of your truck, from the front, and from the rear please
I want to judge the spacer look.

Gra.

I'll post a few pics soon, just going through a house move at the moment so very busy and need to dig out my laptop and harddrive to get before and after pics! On this new site is it the same way as before for uploading pics? Through photobucket?

trying to upload pics here... not working saying that the files are too large...? am i doing it right by going in to the reply box and clicking attachments and opening the browse box and selecting the pics to upload?
or do i have to upload to photobucket?
if i do where do i copy and paste the photobucket link to?
:confusion-helpsos:

Attachments

• iphone pics aug - sept 2012 045.jpg
    iphone pics aug - sept 2012 045.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 161
ok so somehow i got a pic up.....
will try more now! :handgestures-finge:

Gav - here are pics before and after spacers on standard wheels and tyres!
berfore...
iphone pics 2012 419.jpg

after....

Attachments

• iphone pics aug - sept 2012 040.jpg
    iphone pics aug - sept 2012 040.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 132
  • iphone pics 2012 439.jpg
    iphone pics 2012 439.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 158
  • uk trip sept 2012 189.jpg
    uk trip sept 2012 189.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 105
ok, pics above are a bit arseways.... anyhow, theres 2 of it with standard wheels and tyres before and after the spacers for Gav! and the other 3 are of it fitted with ome suspension, 255 85 r16 bf muds and last pic is of a recent trip to uk where it got itself a maggiolina rtt! will do up a small build thread when i get a chance next week! away again this weekend on a charity 4x4 challenge!

Back