Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

2H HJ75 1989 Land Cruiser start up click noise

Simon Rane

Country Flag
australia
Had a click noise when turn key on ignition..Ie. DEATH CLICK replaced starter motor.....also replaced starter relay .... noticed the incorrect bolt in bottom of starter motor mounting location etc........replaced OEM bottom starter bolt from toyota ..ie. the bolt size on throat of bolt where there is no thread had, play or slop on the hole size on bottom of starter , if i hear the click i put in gear let the vehicle move a bit ie. moving flywheel and seems to start no dramas ..... had read a few things on forums and thought it may help out that's all ..... New bolt OEM on bottom of new starter and new relay also DENSO relay etc ........ aftermarket quality starter etc ..... the bolt was under $3 AUD from toyota not sure if its correct because there is still about 3 mm play on starter hole for bottom bolt etc ... It starts almost all the time now no dramas but sometimes Click ... i move in gear it moves flywheel a tiny bit and magic it starts .............. think the slight play in bottom bolt does not allow the starter to throw out properly lining up with flywheel ? hearing a click from the solenoid etc? the starter and old relay were probably ok seeing it's usually worn contacts in starter , when that's this particular 2H HJ75 story hope it is helpful...... problem was incorrect bottom starter bolt and starter slightly out of alignment ...

i also have a BJ40 with turbo 3 B 1979 ......... love Toyota and the Land Cruiser

Back