Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

3.0l d4d fuel consumption...is mine thirsty?

Danny b

Country Flag
uk
So this past week I have put 850 miles on the Colorado, 90% motorway and all light footed.. first tank I averaged 25.3mpg, second tank 25.8mpg. I was hoping it would be slightly better on fuel. My 110 td5 defender on the same tyre returns almost 28mpg mixed driving.

What does anyone else get?

I seem to be getting a pretty consistent 26 from mine. Often loaded up, and quite a few short journeys in there too.

Mines a 2001 123k lwb manual. I should imagine a auto would return less.

I seem to be getting a pretty consistent 26 from mine.

I have to agree with JakeM. I get around the same, sometimes 28, but I'm not lead footed, nor fast off the mark.

Bert are you also manual transmission? I have auto so guess it's about right. I just expected around 27/28. As long as it seems normal then that's fine. I didn't buy it for cheap motoring!

light foot (heavy boots) 20mpg, but with the old 3.0 TD engine. Lots of extra weight, oversize tyres, roof rack etc. 25mpg would be good!

Sounds about right to me and I'd expect closer to 20-21mpg with a heavier foot.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Mine does nearer 30 on a good steady run ( 155k auto) but only 22 on urban driving.

Low 20's for the 1kz and high 20's for the 1kd (later to become known as the D4D) .

I'm not sure what this "light foot" business is all about but i hope its not contagious .

I guess you have blown the cobwebs away with a good old fashioned Italian tune up Andy ?

Low 20's for the 1kz and high 20's for the 1kd (later to become known as the D4D) .

I'm not sure what this "light foot" business is all about but i hope its not contagious .

I guess you have blown the cobwebs away with a good old fashioned Italian tune up Andy ?

Me,Shayne ? as if ....
Mind you, I'd settle for mid 20's at the mo.

Finding the petrol version a bit painful are you .

To sum your reviews so far - thirstier smoother and more refined which is all to be expected but there's no pro's against the con's in that for me , i would expect a petrol motor to have a LOT more poke ?

Finding the petrol version a bit painful are you .

To sum your reviews so far - thirstier smoother and more refined which is all to be expected but there's no pro's against the con's in that for me , i would expect a petrol motor to have a LOT more poke ?

TBF Shayne it's like lightning out of junctions and off the mark and the response is instant, I'd have to work the D4D hard to keep anywhere near it although the D4D isnt that far behind on power.
I guess its down to how you drive in todays road and traffic conditions, no matter how much "poke" you have you can't drive "through" the traffic in front.
I reckon its costing about 15% more in fuel and I think its worth it for the refinement ( and having cruise control) but thats my choice I guess.

Mines a 2001 D4d auto
At the moment mine is doing 22/23 local and 28 on a run.
EGR blanking taking place on the 12th, hope to be seeing an improvement in those figures (fingers crossed)

Mines a 2001 D4d auto
EGR blanking taking place on the 12th, hope to be seeing an improvement in those figures (fingers crossed)
Hi Brian I have a 2001 D4d would be interested to see how you get on with the EGR blanking, don't know a lot about its benefits, what are your thoughts?
Will you be taking photos when you do the job?

I have a 2000 J95 KZE engined Landcruiser and my Fuelly average is 25.5 mpg over high speed continental motering and driving around town. So I guess 25 is a good return.

Hi Brian I have a 2001 D4d would be interested to see how you get on with the EGR blanking, don't know a lot about its benefits, what are your thoughts?
Will you be taking photos when you do the job?

Andy I won't be doing the job, my mechanic will, years ago I did, but due to available time and inclination:D I now let the mechanic do it
This will be a start to increase my MPG to what I feel it should be, and what some of the other lads on here are telling me they are getting.
I had an Isuzu Trooper 3.1 manual that would return 28/29 mpg locally, so as the D4d is supposedly more frugal than the turbo, I would of thought/hoped for a similar mpg out of an Auto

Will keep you updated with the results

The 3l d4d on the 120 lc5 auto runs 30mpg+ on the longer drives we do.

Andy I won't be doing the job, my mechanic will, years ago I did, but due to available time and inclination:D I now let the mechanic do it
This will be a start to increase my MPG to what I feel it should be, and what some of the other lads on here are telling me they are getting.
I had an Isuzu Trooper 3.1 manual that would return 28/29 mpg locally, so as the D4d is supposedly more frugal than the turbo, I would of thought/hoped for a similar mpg out of an Auto

Will keep you updated with the results
Thanks Brian may be something i will do to.

Mines a 2001 D4d auto
Hi Brian, I also have a 91 D4D LWB its manual though. I would have preferred the auto, but that's just me. I am putting a Dobbinsons lift kit on soon and a bumper and winch, as and when finances allow.
Could you share the EGR valve blanking plate info with me as I am planning to do the same. Cheers Rob

No worries Rob
I had advice given me on here (Shayne) that the blanking plate for my D4d 95 must have a hole in it, (other models don't need the hole)
I had a search and came up with this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TOYOTA-LAND-CRUISER-EASY-FIT-EGR-EXHAUST-VALVE-BLANKING-PLATE-3MM-STAINLESS-HD/162101460726?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid=222007&algo=SIC.MBE&ao=2&asc=38661&meid=b3af3bae079c46949b01019bff3e36be&pid=100005&rk=3&rkt=4&sd=152126137848

Look forward to the pics of your truck when you get it sorted

Last edited:
Back