Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

4.0 V6 or 4.5 V8?

S

sunnysingh

Thoughts on both engines?

I;m currently looking to buy a double cab pickup in one of these guises, i was set on the V8 but on paper i see the V6 makes more bhp and the V8 more torques which has got me thinking.

What are peoples thought?

Don't know the engines personally, but I would chose the more torquey motor over the one with more HP. Will be more derivable and should tow better. Hopefully someone more reputable will come along because I'm just making an assumption here...

I would go with the V8, more torque low down compared to the V6 which will probably have to be revved higher to get the best out of it.

As a generalization.

Don't know the engines personally, but I would chose the more torquey motor over the one with more HP. Will be more derivable and should tow better. Hopefully someone more reputable will come along because I'm just making an assumption here...

+1. In a road/offroad 4x4, more torque every time. In a race car, go for the HP.

I guess we're talking about the 4.0 VVT petrol and the 4.5V8 diesel here??

The D4D V8 is an awesome engine. I'd pick that one any day of the week. Sounds amazing and you'll get twice the miles out of a gallon. Horse power sells cars, torque wins races. Someone sensible once said that!

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Andy you are correct the V6 is the 4.0VVT engine.
The hood scoop on the V8 does look lovely!

In my business we dont do any towing, but there is alot of off- roading. Unfortunately In Tanzania we get neither of those engines so the vehicle will have to be imported from either Australia or South Africa.

You need to take the quality of your local fuel into consideration. There are lots of reports of the V8 not liking high sulphur diesel.

Luckily our fuel is good as long as you use reputable fuelling stations such as Total or BP.

In that case, as long as the diesel is low sulphur, I would go with everyone else and say the V8.

Ian - where does the V8 make it's torque? So long as it doesn't peak too low - I'd go for torque every time..

nothing better than a V8!

There are several versions of the V8 D4D. I think the one used in the 70 series is 151 kW at 3400 rpm and 430Nm of torque from 1200 rpm to to 3200 rpm.

I don't know for sure in a 70 series but I would guess faster than that in top gear.

The version of the V8 D4D used in the 200 develops more power and torque. I think that engine comes in different power outputs in different markets.

The 70 series version is single turbo and the 200 series version is twin turbo but that might also be market dependent. The UK got the highest output version before they stopped selling them.

Habari Yako!
Una ka wapi Tanzania?
Nime ka miaka 5 Tanzania.

In general the V6 Petrol is somewhat cheaper to purchase.
Personally I feel the V8 needs to be tweeked ever so slightly (!!) to perform well.
The V6 is heavy on fuel but very strong. Both in terms of power & tech.
Dont rule out the petrol too soon :) I fi saw way more petrol J7 in Botswana than I saw diesel powered vehicles.

You should be able to buy either vehicle from SouthAfrica or Dubai. Saves on shipping.
Drive it easily from Johannesburg to TZE passing through Tundoma :)

Habari Yako!
Una ka wapi Tanzania?
Nime ka miaka 5 Tanzania.

In general the V6 Petrol is somewhat cheaper to purchase.
Personally I feel the V8 needs to be tweeked ever so slightly (!!) to perform well.
The V6 is heavy on fuel but very strong. Both in terms of power & tech.
Dont rule out the petrol too soon :) I fi saw way more petrol J7 in Botswana than I saw diesel powered vehicles.

You should be able to buy either vehicle from SouthAfrica or Dubai. Saves on shipping.
Drive it easily from Johannesburg to TZE passing through Tundoma :)

Safi sana! I am in Tanga north of Dar Es Salaam. :)

Looking online it is apparent the V6 is slightly cheaper. I'm not too worried about fuel economy as i'd base my decision on reliability, performance etc

I know someone with a 79 series from Aus that has a Unichip installed and its improved the drivability.

Nzuri Sana!
Tanga I remember, nearly 25 years ago since we stayed there....I am getting old(er)I

As for the South African angle; Look up RaceChip. I have driven vehicles adjusted by them. FUN in short
As You are in&around Tanga, I recon that You will be OK with petrol & the fuel range it provides.

So to clarify the V6 is non turbo, its a naturally aspirated engine?

I remember my Golf in England had a V6 NA engine and to get the best out of it at times it had to be revved.

The V6 is fitted to the GRJ models. It is a petrol fuelled engine, Toyota does not supercharge this engine in the LC.
To compare; the HZJ is the inline 6-pot 4.2 naturally aspirated diesel model. More common in rural Africa

Back