Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

£4.5k - 90 or 120?

Don Logan

Country Flag
england
Hi, i'm looking into buying a LC and should have £4.5k to spend. I don't know much about them though and am hoping to learn a bit more before going to buy...

It seems quite hard to judge what 4.5k can buy as looking around online, the prices for LC's are all over the place, especially with dealers who seem to think that theirs are the last ones on earth or 'rare' versions because they have leather interiors, etc.

Whatever i end up with won't see an awful lot of use as it won't be used for commuting, we do need a family car though and currently owning a Hilux Surf, i've long been wanting to move up to a Landcruiser.

So, that being said, fuel economy isn't really an issue, though where an Amazon would be nice, i don't think i'd be able to justify it. So, i expect a 90 series or possibly a 120 series would be what i'm looking at.

Would 4.5, possibly £5k stretch to a 120? As said it's hard to gauge what current ones for sale are really worth, but i expect that i'd be looking at a 90 on my budget.

As for petrol/ diesel/ manual/ auto, no real preference, although reliability would be what decides this. I read that the 3.0 D-4D is supposed to be the most reliable. Based on it not having much use in terms of daily commuting, is there any preference for petrol over diesel? Just thinking of DPF's and whatever else may be affected by short intermittent journeys.

My understanding of the different types and trim levels isn't that great. From what i can make out, Colorado refers to 90 Series, does that mean that all 90's are Colorado's?

What exactly does Prado refer to? I can see from the forum list that Prado is available in 90, 120, 150 and 200 Series, but i can't see what it refers to.

LC3, LC4, LC5- Does that just refer to trim levels on the 120?

And GX, VX, etc. - trim levels for the 90?

And once bought, do i have to look into getting injector seals replaced as a precautionary measure? Which engines are affected by this and are there any other major things that can go wrong and be expensive to fix?

I know there are a lot of questions here, if anyone can help out, then it would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Apologies for posting this thread here, just found a better section for it- The Lounge, so please post any replies there.

Back