Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

4.7 V8 Gearbox

Uli

Hi all,
I'm currently traveling in Zambia and have problems with the auto gearbox. It started with slipping then no traction at all. The gearbox has been out three times by now with apparently the only gearbox workshop in the country and I had to go back twice piggyback on the towing truck. The mechanic has no clues what causes the sudden disengaging of the transmission while coasting along. He suggests to buy a new or secondhand transmission which isn't easy to find in the country.
As I understand there are two auto gearbox models for the 2UZ FE engine. Which one is in my car built 1998?
Thanks for any help!

For a petrol, that would be the A343F box, a 4-speed (Different from the diesel versions). The newer ones had the 5-speed A750F box.
That's one of the most bulletproof autos ever made. The most common problems are:
1 - not knowing how to check the fluid level with the engine running (giving a too low level).
2 - misaligned shifter linkage.
3 - water in the atf, from a failed main radiator.
Of course the clutches will fail eventually, or some pollution can block a valve or three, or other failures.

On the early 100 diesels, with the A442F box, there was a problem with a bearing on the converter failing, which could ruin the box itself. But haven't heard of that on the petrol version (UZJ)

Thanks, uHu, for the prompt reply. I'll forward it to the workshop. They are nice guys, maybe a little disorganized. And the working conditions very! African. It's the rainy season now and their pit is at least ankle deep full of water.
A transmission kit has been ordered today from South Africa. Hope that'll cure the problem.
Thanks again!

Only got it from the workshop now: The tag on the chassis says it's a A442F A02B transmission.

A343F was standard for US and Europe only. Rest of the world got the 442 also on the UZJ, as well as on the HDJ and FZJ. That probably means that yours is not an Eu model. I'm sorry for not digging a bit deeper in my first post.

Yes, you're right, I bought this car in Zambia, it's a used car import from Japan.

In case I can't get the gearbox repaired is the A442F interchangeable with the A343F? I've read somewhere they may have a different number of solenoids which might cause wiring problems.
Another thing that's worrying: In my car the gear shifter works in a straight line forward and backward, while in pics of the same model the shifter is moved "around corners" when shifting from P-D-N-R. This might be for the A343F then? So when exchanging gearboxes the whole shifting system would have to be exchanged?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
The so called Gated shifter is for the A750F box, which is on the newer LC100, both diesel and petrol.

Maybe someone with some deeper knowledge can come in re compatibility between the 442 and the 343 - @karl webster ?
If not, the Australian forum is more up to scratch on this kind of issues.

PS
Afaik, all these boxes can be operated manually between 2 or 3 gears. If the ECU does not "see" a gear box (i.e. disconnected), it can be done. I drove with a 442 in a car with an ECU for the 750, and could change manually between 3 gears. A bit cumbersome, and probably a piece of info that you don't need right now.

OK, that helps. So the 750 is eliminated.
Just have to find someone who can tell me if 442 and 343 can be exchanged without problems.

The problem with my gearbox was that it lost transmission completely and in whatever position the shifter was.

Back