Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

4.7 V8 MPG for Petrol & Gas?

chugga90

Morning all,

I am just back into ownership of a wonderful V8 100 and wondered what fellow users have to say about economy/MPG?

My last one was a 98 R plaste V8. This would do around 13mpg on LPG, 16 MPG on Unleaded
This one is a 2000 W plate and having run it for three or so weeks on Unleaded, was quite surprised to be getting 19 to 20MPG on Unleaded. It was only converted to LPG a few weeks ago and having used about 120ltrs of gas it is doing around 16mpg on gas.

I am really pleased with this and wondered what others were achieving?

Have just added an electric fan in lieu of the viscous unit to see if that improves anything? :)

Chugga

Got to ask. Which LPG conversion did you go for? My guesstimate after having a recent tune up and service is that I'm now getting very near to about 20-21mpg on both petrol and LPG out of my truck. I don't run it much on unleaded anymore (apart from the odd burn as lubrication) so I'm not going to be caught in any petrol queues anytime soon. :D :thumbup:

John

Hello John,

Have a BRC conversion. Which all appears to be good quality, but will report either way as the iles build.

The MPG you are getting is really good in my opinion.

Thanks
Barry

I've also got a Brc conversion and it does about 19 mpg or so depending on whether I drive it like its stolen or not :naughty: Try not to smirk too much when you're at the LPG pump while there's big queues at the petrol pumps! ;)

Zeusv8 said:
I've also got a Brc conversion and it does about 19 mpg or so depending on whether I drive it like its stolen or not :naughty: Try not to smirk too much when you're at the LPG pump while there's big queues at the petrol pumps! ;)

That's like asking racists to ignore the presence of a black man during a Klu Klux Klan convention......Either way the brother is going to get lynched.

John

I bought a LPG v8 about 18 months ago and i noticed it started running poorly not long after. A compresseion test revealed low compression on 5 cylinders. Heads off and some of the exhaust valves had large splits in them but about 12 of the 16 exhaust valves had valve recession. The seats were not to bad with i would say minimal damage caused by the knackered valves. I had 16 new valves ordered from Toyota and had them reseated and it now runs like clockwork. I had a flashlube system fitted straight after but i dont know which make/model it was. The lube costs about £15 a litre and last ages as long as its calibrated correctly .
I would not use LPG on this engine without some sort of lube system . It cost me nearly 2k to sort the damage out and that was me doing it myself . But now its lovely and smooth and i would guess it does about 15 to the gallon on lpg(75p) compared to 18(145p) on petrol. The LPG system is a BRC .
I am now very happy with it and have done about 8000 miles without any issues at all, but please learn from my mistake .

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Yesterday I went off to my local Morrison's in Walthamstow to fill up with LPG and was told a awful tale. It seems that during the recent gold rush, owners of LPG powered cars and trucks were being threatened by other motorist for allegedly "jumping the queue". The fact that the LPG pumps were empty at the time, were of little relevance to the petrolheads, they just saw red seeing others fill up their motors in double quick time and at half the price. So if you're driving LPG, be very, very careful out there........ :cool:

John

I have a 2002 with the 5 speed auto 'box & BRC LPG kit (& flashlube) the computer says 15.8mpg.
I wonder how accurate the onboard computer is when running on LPG? I thought it monitored flow through injector 1 but I have seperate injectors for LPG?
I also have an app on my phone & according to that I am getting 12.3 mpg over the last 2300 miles, that includes petrol & LPG. That suggest the onboard computer is pretty accurate (as LPG is slightly lress efficcient)
I have to say because I only travel 4 miles to work I tend to do just over a mile on petrol before it switches over so subsequently use quite a bit of petrol as well as LPG - probably 3 gallons a week - so LPG is obviously better if you do more miles!

cheers
Chris

Last week, I had to take my wife to Abergele, North Wales (via Wolverhampton) to see a herbalist who specializes in cancer, having filled the tank with 90ltrs of LPG at Walthamstow, East London, before setting off north. We travelled 263 miles (with the LPG fuel indicator on red) before filling up again at Northop on the A55, for a short splash and dash, on our way back to Wolves. My feeling is that we could have gone on another 20 miles before running the LPG tank dry but I'm guessing. Could someone please do the maths for me because i can't count for toffee......But I can tell you now, I'm a happy bunny and so is my wife. :thumbup:

John

Did you 'brim' it at Northop, if so how many litres went in? Guessing a bit your mpg is around 14, maybe a bit more, maybe a bit less ;)

Sam (Ronin) AKA: Jon

Pardon my french but what is a "brim"? :?: If I get you right, I put in £30.00 at 73p per litre, just enough to get me back to Carvers in Wolves ( @61p per litre).

Nice to see that you're back in the fold......Plenty of chip shops on your manor to fuel the beast. :cool:

John

Dark Dude said:
Sam (Ronin) AKA: Jon

Pardon my french but what is a "brim"? John
Filled to the top of the filler pipe :thumbup:

Ok, you did say it was a splash and dash so I thought you probably didn't brim it. We can only guess roughly how much fuel you used based on what you said and my guess is still 14mpg in that case :)

I would/may experiment with bio but just at the moment I'm not using enough fuel to be worth doing. Good to be back in a cruiser though :D

Jon Wildsmith said:
Ok, you did say it was a splash and dash so I thought you probably didn't brim it. We can only guess roughly how much fuel you used based on what you said and my guess is still 14mpg in that case :)

I would/may experiment with bio but just at the moment I'm not using enough fuel to be worth doing. Good to be back in a cruiser though :D

I was hoping more like 18-19mpg........ :|

John

Back