Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

40 daily driver

tolley

Country Flag
england
anyone using a 40 as a daily driver ,just wondered how they fair .

Hi,
Our 40 has been our DD for the last ten years.... admittedly the last 8 have been in our retirement where life moves at a slower pace.
If you regularly use the M3 at 70mph in a/conditioned comfort listening to the finer points of music on a high end stereo and insulated from the world outside then a 40 is not for you.
But if your music comes from an inline 4 or 6 (3B or 2H/2F) and you enjoy driving and the world around you with the added reliability that a 40 gives...
But you don't go anywhere quickly in a 40 (but you can go just about everywhere) - we travel at the speed of the trucks 56-60mph but have been known to cover 500+ miles in a day and still be able to walk reasonably well after! Off roading no hassle and extremely capable. On road we've done a few trips UK- Andalucia and back with no problems.

Ours has a 2H and a 5speed, plus 60 series axles but no lockers so very similar to the one Tony has for sale but ours is a soft top.
They are basic and reliable and personally I wouldn't change it for anything else.
Parts are available from Mr T, Euro4x4 and Megastore in Portugal. The latter both give excellent service whereas for Mr T it depends on the dealership.

Don't get one if:
You don't like being looked at
If you don't like strangers talking to you about it
You like other car users pushing in front of you in traffic (the 40 is imposing enough that they know they will loose!)

But if you want:
To grin every time you drive it
To have reliability in a vehicle that will go anywhere
Enjoy driving even for the most mundane journeys

Then a 40 is for you.

Regards,

Rodger

Rodger great right up , many thanks from you have said I think the 40 would suit me down to the ground.

Glad that was a help...
I should add that 40s talk to you...
If something is starting to get worn out it will rattle, squeak, groan but they won't just inexplicably stop working (or very, very rarely).
As with all BJs except the 42s mine is 24 volt but to run my CB and satnav (only used for Lat/Long when off roading) I run a dropper from the cig lighter.
Providing some animal hasn't tried to un-necessarily modify the wiring the original kit is excellent and reliable. Can't remember the last time I changed a bulb but it certainly over 5 years ago and in this day and age old electrics that work are a definite plus.

Please be aware that the grin factor generated by 40s will affect all the members of your family: given a choice between the 40 and any other vehicle to travel in they will invariably choose the 40.

Regards,

Rodger

@tolley I just noticed that you think Tony's truck is a 2F (petrol) but actually it is like mine and has a HJ60 diesel engine - inline 6 diesel 4 litre.

So many of the parts are interchangeable and in fact the HJ45 (primarily for the Oz market) was fitted with the H engine 3.6 L diesel. The 2H by the ID code was the second generation of this engine.

Years ago when the USA had the scrap car scheme there was a video on Utube that showed them trying to destroy a 2H engine: They filled engines with a mix of oil oils and other chemicals and then revved them to maximum or over... most engines lasted less than a minute before they detonated... but they turned off the 2H after 30 minutes saying that they didn't know how to destroy it!

Obviously your choice re Tony's truck but I wouldn't want you to miss out because of a mis-apprehension.

Regards,

Rodger

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Many thanks for the information, I didn't know that thanks .

Rodger how many different engine diesel have been used in the 40 ,since they first came out ?

Hi Tolley,

Going from memory, so there maybe the odd variation or exception, but diesels in 40s are fairly straight forward and also ignoring prior and post models:

Diesel 40s did not start until 1975 and used variations on the B series engines - B, 2B and 3B mostly with 4 speed boxes but late ones had 5 speed. These models all had the prefix BJ -40; 42 (12 volt primarily for Oz); 43 slightly longer as was 44; 45 was a pick up or troopy; 46 may have been the extra long 45 (need to check that)
The 47 had the H engine(designated HJ47) and was either a pick up or a troopy and, I think later ones had the 2H or possibly the turbo version. Most of these went to Oz and were 12 volt.
There were variations made in S America some using non-Toyota engines.
I will check these but I'm sure others will correct my mistakes and errors.
40s were not imported to the UK officially as quotas were in force that restricted the volume of imports to protect UK vehicle manufacturing including LR.
But loads went to Europe - actually many were completed in a Portugese facility but obviously they are all LHD.
USA never officially had diesel 40s but Canada did.
Most every other had diesel 40s but there only a few countries are RHD
2H engines were primarily used in the 60 series through the 80s.
B series (3 litre inline 4) and 2H engines (4L inline 6) are old style engineering but are ultra reliable, easy to maintain but not fast or high revving - 'million mile' engines.
You seem concerned about having a LHD, but with these engines it could be years before you overtake anything that isn't parked!!!!!
Personally I have never found LHD a problem, although for the last 8 years I've lived in a LHD country but for the 9 years before it was with us in the UK.
Hope this helps.

Regards,

Rodger

Regarding the daily driver bit - I have been using my BJ40 continuously for the last 4 years.
Your biggest enemy is rust. The salt has really taken its toll. The vehicle was 'as new' when I got it even down to the cad plating on injector lines etc - only 24000 Km.
I am now in the position of having to take it off the road for major panel rust repairs despite rustproofing. The Chassis is still perfect though - not even surface corrosion.
FYI the vehicle is 1983 - not a good period for steel quality within the car industry in general.

Cheers, Ian.

Thanks Ian , just goes to show how much damage salt does and how quick it works.

Back