Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

5 Speed box

Ricky_UK

Country Flag
uk
All,

Looking for advice or the pro's and cons of upgrading to a 5 speed gearbox for my FJ40.
I'm new to the Land cruiser arena and want to make sure i'm making the right moves and decisions as i work through the project.

I've read online that people tend to use the H55F or the NV4500. Does anyone have any experience of either or both and know of any common faults/issues that i need to be looking out for?

Many thanks in advance,
Ricky

I've put the H55f into mine.
You haven't said what engine is in you 40!
The problems that I found arising were.
1- Is your 40 petrol or diesel? Gearbox from petrol or diesel? clutch differences(splines diiferent between)
2- there may be prop shaft length differences.
3-Chances are your bell-housing will not fit.
4- Hand brake will disappear .(Change rear diff, just need to move the spring plates)(custom disc type at box)

It is a good change. The rev's will drop a little while in top. and I think 1st is lower as well!
A bit of work so probably not a one weekend job.
The clutch spline problem is shown in picks on my post "New heart for the 45"

One thing to keep in mind! It will bolt up to existing mounts if you don't change engines!

Nekros,

Thanks for the reply. Its currently running a 3B engine and is going to have H55F box transplant.

ref point 4 I don't have a handbrake at present so no great loss there.
Its being done by a professional garage who tells me he has done plenty before and judging by the 4 that are current projects in his garage i'm confident he knows what he's doing (unlike me at the mo)

It having quite a lot done so i thought i might as well take the extra step and my location makes parts easy to come by.

I'll have a look at your post, Thanks for the advice.

I haven't physically seen it yet as its going straight to the garage, it does come refurbished though. Should hopefully have some pictures soon. I'm going saturday to check on progress.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back