Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

60 series build

moggy1968

well, the rebuild is about halfway through now so thought I would post up some piccies.

I acquired this about 10 years ago when quite a few 60s appeared for sale. It had previously been used for towing a fairground ride, one of those roundabouts for kiddies in the shape of tea cups.

This is how it looked about 6 years ago

Picture206_zps1c6c196e.jpg
Picture195_zps0c083836.jpg
It went to the Gambia with me, and then to Kazan in Russia. It was the vehicle I drove to my wifes country, Belarus, the first time I went there.

By about 3 years ago it was starting to look a bit rotten though, the pox was breaking out all over the body so I had to decide wether to sell it, or get it fixed up.

It made no financial sense at all but I was emotionally attached, the chassis was solid and so I decided the time had come to get it renovated. The plan was do it once, do it right, this was to be a vehicle for life.

So, I came to a deal with the garage that had done all my expedition prep. In exchange for a large quantity of beer vouchers each month they would spend the next 2 years rebuilding the vehicle when they had quiet times.

Almost 2 years later, predictably, they hadn't had much quiet time so this was as far as we had got, and it was even rustier!!

landcruiser1_zpse35cd299.jpg
landcruiser2_zpsfd0137b4.jpg
landcruiser3_zpsbe603bb4.jpg

Last edited:
So, we said a more definite timescale and the build started in earnest. while the garage started the stripdown, I scoured the globe for parts, from Devon, Sheffield, Holland, Australia, and America

Unfortunately, Toyota are not good on supplying parts for their older vehicles, and even scrap perfectly good NOS if they can't offload it (a container of 80 series panels has recently been scrapped so I am told) So what can't be replaced has to be repaired
View attachment 8070
View attachment 8069
GEDC0316_zpsb7989615.jpg

Last edited:
It looks in good condition to me i hope the missing parts haven't gone walkabouts .

aha!!

So, we said a more definite timescale and the build started in earnest. while the garage started the stripdown, I scoured the globe for parts, from Devon, Sheffield, Holland, Australia, and America

Unfortunately, Toyota are not good on supplying parts for their older vehicles, and even scrap perfectly good NOS if they can't offload it (a container of 80 series panels has recently been scrapped so I am told) So what can't be replaced has to be repaired

IMAG0239_zpsed3bb9ec.jpg
GEDC0318_zpsadf82f75.jpg
GEDC0316_zpsb7989615.jpg

Your last post shows pic ? . I upload to photobucket , click on image code in the bottom right next to the pic (on photobucket) , which auto says copied , then just paste the link here . I cant copy and paste pics straight from my com at all

is there a limit on the number of daily photos?
well, to continue!!

IMAG0240_zpsf595d402.jpg
IMAG0234_zps4cec5ec5.jpg
IMAG0187_zps673f7ba2.jpg
IMAG0236_zpsc3d9113c.jpg

Last edited:
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
The airtank will have to be moved as it has to hang vertically for water drainiage. The mechanic in charge of the build has flogged the person responsible!!
DSCN2300_zpsdf17a1ac.jpg
DSCN2302_zps599f91f5.jpg
DSCN2307_zps2bd0561c.jpg

I've cleaned up the thread for you. :thumbup:

Great thread. :thumbup:

Nice to see an older LC getting saved. :clap:

just 300 registered in the UK now apparently, so they need saving!

Nice work!!! Good luck to finish your projekt!

Nice job going on there Moggy, reminds me of when I did my 60 2 years ago.

I think I met you breifly when you bought the 2 new front wings from my dutch mates last spring!

I noticed your ARB front bumper, where did you buy it from? I am looking for one for my 60 series.

Hi Iwan

was that in wales? Looked like you were having a good time there

the bumper came from TBR accessories. Not cheap mind. I think they had to get it from Denmark as they aren't made anymore and ARB had to find someone with one in stock.
Have you spoken to Andy Lomas, he might be able to help you with that and other bits.PM me if you don't have his details.

Last edited:
Yes it was in my hometown in Wales! Have had many good times with Laurence, Martin and the guys from L&L land cruisers. I think that was the 4th time they have come to visit!:icon-biggrin:

I have decided to go down the custom route for my front winch bumper cause with the body lift mine has, a standard one would need alterations etc!

I have had many a good hour of conversation with Andy!

All the best with the 60, its a great drive when the project is complete:icon-smile:

yes, you need to allocate a bit of time to go and see Andy, I still haven't seen his full collection!!

It drove pretty well back from the Gambia! Should be even better when all this work is finished. Would really like to fit an 2HT engine but I think it may be prohibitively expensive:violin:

I take it you meant a 12 HT Andy. They really are a strong puller and sound nothing like a 2H even with a after market turbo fitted. Rare as hens teeth but rarer I'd say. With all my interest in 60's over the years I've only had chance to buy 2, the one I bought in mid Wales and the one I viewed in Canterbury from a forum member (Jap import rust free) at £4.5K+ so I didn't buy that one but it did sell.
Can't wait to see the finished article.

Andy

Back