Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

60A to 100+A alternator

BenjiCarlos

Country Flag
uk
Hey guys, I have a 60A round pin alternator on my 1991 HDJ81. It is playing up so I would like to upgrade it as it is 27 years old.

I can only find 60A ones with a round plug. What can I put in its place and what will I need regarding brackets and plug swap arounders? (I know that isn't a word.. haha)
Something like this?
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Toyota-Alt...nd+to+oval&dpPl=1&dpID=41IAQCZF2kL&ref=plSrch

Part numbers would be great!

Thanks, Ben.

Last edited:
Hey guys, I have a 60A round pin alternator on my 1991 HDJ81. It is playing up so I would like to upgrade it as it is 27 years old.

I can only find 60A ones with a round plug. What can I put in its place and what will I need regarding brackets and plug swap arounders? (I know that isn't a word.. haha)
Something like this?
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Toyota-Alt...nd+to+oval&dpPl=1&dpID=41IAQCZF2kL&ref=plSrch

Part numbers would be great!

Thanks, Ben.
Hi Ben
Your title says 60 to 100 Amp but you say all you can find is a 60 Amp one don't you mean 100 Amp ?

Hi Ben
Your title says 60 to 100 Amp but you say all you can find is a 60 Amp one don't you mean 100 Amp ?

Hi Steve, my one is the old 60 amp one. I managed to get a 120amp one from a newer cruiser from gary at 80 breaker. Took a bit of fettling but she is in!

did you cut the round plug off the origonal one benjy?

Hi Steve, my one is the old 60 amp one. I managed to get a 120amp one from a newer cruiser from gary at 80 breaker. Took a bit of fettling but she is in!
Perhaps you could share with us what you had to do and post up some pics in case others want to do the mod. Part numbers would also be useful as well as the wiring you upgraded and the plugs involved etc as Karl has said.

Any news on this as I need to upgrade my alternator and looking to go for a 120amp.

Has anyone got the details as I have searched the site but nothing has been definitive

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I put a 120 amp on mine. It needed a different bracket which turned out to be a genuine part. It's the slotted curved tension plate that needs swapping. I got the unit from
https://www.startermotor-alternator-store.co.uk/

I contacted them recently and bought a spare thingy off them for £26. You know the regulator bit.

Thanks Chris

I was going to pop in and see these people on Friday when I am down that way.

Have you g9t the part number for the bracket?

Ooh, arrr, errrm...

Looks like the original is 16381-17010 but not seeing an alternative.

Last edited:
Original was 80 amp IIRC, the plug should be 3 pin oval. The upgrade I went for is the 150 amp Toyota Sequioa, it is a bolt in option with a minor filing of the adjuster arm.

It is available with the oval 3 pin socket and a more common square 4 pin, one pin is simply not connected.

You can use the double pulley from the 80 and it bolts straight on in place of the serpentine style, given this version bolts straight up, you can keep your spare 80 or 60 in the car if you go anywhere off the beaten track.

Regards

Dave

Hi Dave

Just going around this now.

Found a pin conversion just need to see which alternator to go for.

Spoke to the people Chris linked who were very helpful.

My issue is I want to use the cruiser next Sunday and I am away so I worried about getting the parts wrong and it not all fitting.

Stu

Thanks

Trying to sort out the plugs right now as I have the older round plug. I can't find 100% what I think I need so may end up changing the plug to the newer version and going for the 120 amp.

Not the original question posed by Ben I know, but I would now question the wisdom of wanting to fit bigger alternators. A std unit in most cases I think is probably enough. I have three batteries on board and I'm pulling a trailer with two more in and even when setting off from camp after a couple of days standing, I'm not sure I'd be taxing the original alternator. I'm not sure what I thought I needed all that current for in the first place.

With things like lighting, in the olden days, then whacking all your spots on could make it churn a bit but now everything is LED and we're running DC 2 DC chargers I'm unsure that I'd put another one in. In fact I suspect mine is overcharging a bit and I have a new rectifier to go in. But I also have the old alternator which is in good fettle. I might just drop that back in.

Surplus amps is not a bad thing IMO.

My particular case may be different anyway, I run an electric engine cooling fan, true it rarely comes on, but if full speed is demanded it is capable of pulling around 45 amps.

I am not in the DC 2 DC camp.

Either way, better to have than want.

Regards

Dave

Interesting point Chris.

My current ( no pun) alternator is charging at 14.3v all day long. Both batteries are newish and hold charge fairly well. Can leave for a good few weeks.

Now when I was trying to run my winch in the snow while bonnet deep. The winch wouldn't do very much at all. The volt meter had then dropped to the bottom of the dash gauge.

I used to run a 80 amp on my landrover and that was fine with the warn 8274. I am really considering if it's even worth going to the 120amp or just stick a 80amp in.

Mine is the old-school 60amp round plug jobby.

Can't disagree Dave but you yourself just said you have a fan that pulls 45 amps! So you can really justify it. I'm really hypothesising on behalf of our readers who might just get sucked into thinking the two most important upgrades on their cruisers are a bigger dynamo and a snorkel. Which by my reckoning, they aren't.

Chris we all know the best upgrades are a snorkle and a diff breather kit

I'm not the best person to advise on all of this Stu. But really when winching, you aren't pulling from your alternator are you. Draw can be up in the region of 500 - 600 amps so you're pulling from the battery. Now, a bigger alternator has the capacity to replenish the batteries faster in between short pulls which we know is the best for the system unless it's life or death of course. However, just how much can you bang back into a battery at once - open question, I don't know. If it's say 120 amps then OK worth doing. But f all you can safely push in as 30 amps then you won't get any benefit from a 1000 amp alternator!

Incidentally though it sounds like you have a winch power supply issue there fella.

I would say that statement is not quite right Chris.

ANY electrical load placed on a running engine the alternator does the work, not the battery.

Only when a load exceeds available alternator output does the battery come into the equation.

Example:

Engine idling, battery charged, you light up your main beams, engine note will alter as the load on the alternator increases

Regards

Dave

Last edited:
Back