Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

70 series parts for 40 series ?

Mick Zilm

Country Flag
australia
hi I was wondering if I got my mates 70 series cruiser he said he will sell me cheep if I could use the gearbox diffs etc for my 1962 fj40 for the front discs and 5 speed box . I was hoping to swap complete diff and stealing racks any info would be appreciated I can get this 70 series for pretty much nothing ( a carton of beer ). So I will grab it anyway so if anyone's after any parts I can't use let me know

Hi Mick,

Is your buddy's 70 a Bundera? If so: "Light Duty (Called "Bundera" in Australia, Prado in Japan, Land Cruiser II in some markets) - 70 Series with the smaller engines, lighter axles (with the 8" ring gear) used in Hilux/pickup/4Runner/Surf" according to cruiserfaq

If you get the VIN number that will give to spec and then you'll know if it will work.

Post the VIN on here and we'll tell you more.

Regards,

Rodger

Hi Mick,

Is your buddy's 70 a Bundera? If so: "Light Duty (Called "Bundera" in Australia, Prado in Japan, Land Cruiser II in some markets) - 70 Series with the smaller engines, lighter axles (with the 8" ring gear) used in Hilux/pickup/4Runner/Surf" according to cruiserfaq

If you get the VIN number that will give to spec and then you'll know if it will work.

Regards,

Rodger
Not too sure I will go check it out tomorrow arvo get more info and vin what about gearbox and transfer case guessing that would be light as well ? Mine runs fine and has 4 speed but has a bit of slop in transfer shifter (left /right) and worried with the 253 won't last too long do you know what my original diffs would be my vin is 2-FJ40-16899 any info would be great I find it hard to find out much at all also would love to track down my original engine if it's still around anywhere it's no is F-175236 I will get back to you with my mates 70s info thanks again Rodger

Hi Mick,

Info is hard to find but but I shall continue to look...
Your original engine was an F mated to a 3 speed g/box (3 on the tree as floor mount was available till '64 and then as an option). There is a 75-100% chance that your truck's got 4.11 gears and an H42 or J30 transmission as most F engined LCs were to that spec.

Your buddies 70 may turn out to be a proper 70 and not a light duty but that's what the VIN will tell us.

Regards,

Rodger

Hi Mick,

Regards,

Rodger

The light duty 70's are actually pretty rare here so I would be surprised if it was one, but it could be.

Where as the 75 series utes and troopy's are everywhere, theres millions of them around and the older ones are very cheap now indeed. :think:

Hi Mick,

Info is hard to find but but I shall continue to look...
Your original engine was an F mated to a 3 speed g/box (3 on the tree as floor mount was available till '64 and then as an option). There is a 75-100% chance that your truck's got 4.11 gears and an H42 or J30 transmission as most F engined LCs were to that spec.

Your buddies 70 may turn out to be a proper 70 and not a light duty but that's what the VIN will tell us.

Regards,

Rodger
Sorry for the miss information but my mate got it a bit wrong his cruiser is a 1992 60 series vin was hard to read but I think it's FJ-60-048932

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
According to that VIN it's a August 1982 60 series, 2F (4.2) with a 4 speed transmission. It is either designated RG-KQ (G wagon with lift up back door) or RV-KCO (standard roof with swing out back doors)
60 series are all heavy duty, axles are 60mm wider but have discs on the front. Transmission will be strong enough.
My 40 has a 60 series diesel , trans, axles and power steering.
You were thinking of using the trans - it will work and for the price - just too good to refuse.

Regards,
Rodger

According to that VIN it's a August 1982 60 series, 2F (4.2) with a 4 speed transmission. It is either designated RG-KQ (G wagon with lift up back door) or RV-KCO (standard roof with swing out back doors)
60 series are all heavy duty, axles are 60mm wider but have discs on the front. Transmission will be strong enough.
You were thinking of using the trans - it will work and for the price - just too good to refuse.

Regards,
Rodger
Thanks Rodger i looked at it today and gearbox and transfer both select all gears /hi/Lo range very smoothly it also had five gears ?? So not sure if it's original box or no

Thanks Rodger i looked at it today and gearbox and transfer both select all gears /hi/Lo range very smoothly it also had five gears ?? So not sure if it's original box or no
Thanks Rodger i looked at it today and gearbox and transfer both select all gears /hi/Lo range very smoothly it also had five gears ?? So not sure if it's original box
Thanks Rodger i looked at it today and gearbox and transfer both select all gears /hi/Lo range very smoothly it also had five gears ?? So I guess it's not original box but it should still fit my 40 ???? Thanks again Rodger appreciate your help mate

I

Regards,
Rodger
f

Regards,
Rodger
if axles are longer will wheels stick outside of guards if I use these ? I would like to use the disc break front end if possible

I'm using the 60 series rims - 15x8 with 10.5 width tyres and added small flares just to be legal ( very strict in Spain) but using slightly narrower rims/tyres you should be okay. It is only just over an inch each side so you should be able to measure that against your current set up. Since the attached photo was taken I have got the left wing sitting better (level) and that meant that I could have got away without the flares (but only just).
Image0264.jpg

The front bodywork is off mine at the moment but when it's back together I'll photograph it to show you, a couple of weeks or so.

Regards,
Rodger

I'm using the 60 series rims - 15x8 with 10.5 width tyres and added small flares just to be legal ( very strict in Spain) but using slightly narrower rims/tyres you should be okay. It is only just over an inch each side so you should be able to measure that against your current set up. Since the attached photo was taken I have got the left wing sitting better (level) and that meant that I could have got away without the flares (but only just).
View attachment 144646

The front bodywork is off mine at the moment but when it's back together I'll photograph it to show you, a couple of weeks or so.

Regards,
Rodger
Very nice rig my wheels ar are right on the legal limit atm so flares might be the go I will go pick up the 60 in next few days and strip it and measure it up looking forward to see more pics cheers Rodger

Very nice rig my wheels ar are right on the legal limit atm so flares might be the go I will go pick up the 60 in next few days and strip it and measure it up looking forward to see more pics cheers Rodger
Would I need to change my drive shafts ?

It's listed as a 4 speed so logically it has had a g/box change. The listing implies but does not state for sure that 60s with 5 speed boxes weren't imported into Oz until '85.
Drive shafts? I think you could swap the axles. We'd need to check the codes to ensure that they are the same ratio and you'd need to check the 60 axle is okay - drop oil, check colour and look for metal bits.
As for shift sticks they should fit in the existing holes but you may need to move the g/box mount(?). What number of splines on your existing box? I think the spline on the 5 speed is 10 spline.

regards

Rodger

It's listed as a 4 speed so logically it has had a g/box change. The listing implies but does not state for sure that 60s with 5 speed boxes weren't imported into Oz until '85.
Drive shafts? I think you could swap the axles. We'd need to check the codes to ensure that they are the same ratio and you'd need to check the 60 axle is okay - drop oil, check colour and look for metal bits.
As for shift sticks they should fit in the existing holes but you may need to move the g/box mount(?). What number of splines on your existing box? I think the spline on the 5 speed is 10 spline.

regards

Rodger
Mines 10 spline my plan would be to use the 60s box ,tail shafts ,diffs and the tunnel ( I think that's what they call the cover where holes are located for shifters ) I will check the oil and let you know . The 60 has no wheels so might be a couple of days before I get it home I am going to get the carton today but won't drain oil until after I tow it home will let you know once I have it

I picked up the 60 yesterday started to strip it should have rear end off tomorrow . Where would I find codes or info on the diffs for the ratio ?

Hi Mick,
Re axle codes - extract from Cruiserfaq below:

Axle Codes
Axle codes are never located on the axle housings themselves. In trucks manufacturered after 1976, the axle codes are located on the build plate which can be found inside the engine compartment. The pinion (and sometimes the ring gear have the tooth counts (from which the ratio can be calculated) stamped into them.

For the 80 Series, the number of teeth on the ring and pinion were increased. While the earlier heavy-duty 4.11:1 gears had 37 teeth on the ring gear and 9 on the pinion, from 1990 on, the gears were actually 4.10:1 with 41 ring gear teeth and 10 pinion teeth.

Code Example:

K 08 2
9.5" ring gear 4.11 ring/pinion ratio 2 spider gears
First digit: ring gear size
G 8" Hilux and Light-duty LC
K 9.5" Regular LC
Second, third digits: ring/pinion gear ratio
(These numbers apply to ALL Toyota vehicles--known Land Cruiser ratios are indicated)

Code Ratio Teeth Heavy Duty Cruiser Light Duty Cruiser/Hilux 8" Reverse Cut
R P Toyota Aftermarket Toyota Aftermarket Toyota Aftermarket
01 3.30
02 3.36
03 3.545
04 3.556
05 3.70 37 10 X X
06 3.889
07 3.90 X
08 4.111 37 9 X X X
09 4.222
10 4.375