Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

75 Series Ute Difficult Start and Draining Battery

Lozpaul

Country Flag
australia
H i Guys

I am new to the Forum as I have just purchased a 1996 75 series Ute (ex RFS vehicle 238ks) for our 3 boys 9,12 and 14 to drive manual, learn basic old school mechanics etc etc and they just love the old girl, I must say I am the same. I am having an issue though with starting and then the battery holding enough charge to crank the engine over. I have had her for the last 8 weeks and I have already had to chnage a newish battery due to the start being very labourious.

Ive just had the glow plugs replaced as they were long overdue and still the difficulty to start remains and has subsenquently drained the second "brand new" battery again, could there possibly be a simple fix to this or maybe a ground wire draining the battery.

I have basic mechanical knowledge yet am wanting to learn from you all to teach my boys what I have learnt,if you can help me I would very much appreciate it.

Cheers

Lozpaul
1996 HZJ75RP
"Charlie" The Crusier
Gresford NSW

Hi Paul,
Normally, the 1hz engine needs 1/4 turn from the starter to start.
if it needs a lot of cranking then there is something wrong.
does the battery drain because you have to crank the engine a lot to start or does the battery drain overnight because of a power loss somewhere?
does it start right away when you put in a freshly charged battery?
Does it start better after you clean the battery poles and clamps with sandpaper? This is a common issue!
If you pump the priming pump on top of the fuel filter, does it need a lot of strokes before it gets firm? Does it start better right away after pumping the priming pump?
Cheers
Firewout

Last edited:
Firewout

Thanks for responding mate, I have to almost wind the key all the way out and hold it whilst the starter turns over, turns over, turns over and then finally fires. This must be draining on the battery, as if I do it too many times the battery will lose charge, and I will then be stranded, wherever I am.

The Ute has an RFS isolating switch on it which we have been turning off when we have not been using the Ute to try and preserve the battery.

I have not had to clean the battery terminals as the battery has been brand-new.

You are correct also correct with the priming pump needs at least a dozen or so pushes at least before it firms up

I think I’ve answered all your questions, I hope this helps the brains trust.

Cheers

Lozpaul
1996 HZJ75RP
"Charlie" The Crusier
Gresford NSW

Hi Lozpaul,
Does the engine fire right away when you squirt some 'start pilot' in the air intake?
If it does, then you probably have a problem with the fuel supply to the ip.
Does the engine start when you keep pumping when cranking?
Does the ip have a cold start device?
Clean the inside of the battery clamps as well so all the corrosion is gone.

Firewout

Haven’t tried that mate

The engine does start when the primer pumps is pushed but really takes some cranking. Do t think it has a cold start device but does has an idle regulator switch next to the key starter

Will do on cleaning the terminals thank you

Cheers

Lozpaul
1996 HZJ75RP
"Charlie" The Crusier
Gresford NSW

Morning all

Just an update as I work through some of those points raised earlier.-

Fully charge the battery overnight, then primed the fuel filter as much as I could push it and she started on just on a quarter turn.

Am I daft in saying that the fuel pressure should be in the primer pump at all times or is this something that comes and goes depending on use? Someone else has suggested to me that the non return valve may have an issue?

Cheers

Lozpaul
1996 HZJ75RP
"Charlie" The Crusier
Gresford NSW

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Hi lozpaul,
I had the same issue with my 80.
It was an airleak in the acsd (automatic cold start device) which is bolted to the side of the injection pump.
I replaced it with a blanking plate and an o-ring.

Thanks Firewout

You wouldnt have any of the details where you bought that from etc etc do you?

Cheers

Lozpaul
1996 HZJ75RP
"Charlie" The Crusier
Gresford NSW

I've just googled '1hz injection pump' and they seem not to have the acsd and the blanking plate is already there.
Just to be sure, can you post a picture of your ip?
Now you more or less found the issue, no fuel to the ip, you can search on this forum. This subject has passed here before.

Thanks Firewout

See atatched, if this was leaking wouldnt I notice fuel seepage of some sort as its pretty dry down there?

Cheers

IP1.jpg
IP3.jpg
IP2.jpg

Lozpaul
1996 HZJ75RP
"Charlie" The Crusier
Gresford NSW

Hi,
My best guess is that at some point, air is entering the fuel supply to the ip.
Here are some possibilities.
a leaking seal between the fuel filter and primer pump has been mentioned a few times.
A blocked sleeve/filter on the pickup line in the fuel tank.
Leaking fuel line somewhere.
A friend of mine had to put in another brand of fuel filter because the new filter blocked fuel flow.
Put a clear piece of hose between the filter and the ip and check if there are air bubbles in the line.
Put a non return valve between filter and ip.
Primer pump between fuel tank and filter.

I'm afraid it will be trial and error.
I also noticed on the photos that the fuel return hose is not completely pushed onto the tube.
Good luck!
Btw, do you already have the factory service manuals?

Thanks mate,

So much to learn, and tick off, first things first Ill work through the list of issues and then come back to you all

PS I do not have a factory service manual

Cheers

Lozpaul
1996 HZJ75RP
"Charlie" The Crusier
Gresford NSW

Morning all

It seems I fixed the fuel supply issue by replacing the 28-year-old fuel filter primer pump with a brand-new one by Toyota.

Doesn’t seem to be leaking air out of this part any more, beautified straightaway this morning, however, with a lazy start due to low voltage still coming out of the battery I assume.

I will drop it off to my friend who is an auto electrician to see if he can diagnose the electrical problem. Maybe something to do with the alternator as dash lights come on and off randomly walk to driving.

To be continued.

Cheers

Lozpaul
1996 HZJ75RP
"Charlie" The Crusier
Gresford NSW

Back