Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

78 series rear differential

Gr8Yota

Country Flag
scotland
Sorry I think I asked this but can’t find that thread. I’m still looking to fit a locker in the rear of my GRJ78 (2021).

I am not wanting to fit an air locker, or at least not the ARB so either Eaton/Harrop elocker, OE locker or maybe the TJM unit. What I still cannot find out is if the GR variant of the 78 has the same diff as the VD. Harrop (AUS) are being vague and none of their suppliers in the MEDM (where the car was built for) respond.

There is this sticker on my rear axle if it helps at all…

3B0EB491-635A-4F1B-AD34-A878760D2B6E.jpeg

If you don't get an answer here, I would recommend the Buschtaxi forum or Facebook page. There are a lot of 78's in Europe and I'm sure someone has a solution

Thanks, I’ll try Bushchtaxi, I didn’t think iH8mud would help as such a rare thing In the US

Thanks, but they sell the Harrop and Harrop won’t confirm the fitment.

The diff carrier is the same between the GRJ/VDJ etc. It's the ring & pinion that differs. Also the axle/diff housing may need a bit of grinding to suit a locker (although I think that only if you go for a factory locker).
I fitted a 200 series diff in my VDJ as that's what was available 2nd hand in the UK, I then rebuilt it using Nitro Gears LSD.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
The diff carrier is the same between the GRJ/VDJ etc. It's the ring & pinion that differs. Also the axle/diff housing may need a bit of grinding to suit a locker (although I think that only if you go for a factory locker).
I fitted a 200 series diff in my VDJ as that's what was available 2nd hand in the UK, I then rebuilt it using Nitro Gears LSD.
So from this info I conclude that the locker is generic as he ring is swapped over from the OE?

Yes, although if you go down that route you will need the ECU, wiring looms, actuator and dash switch as well, and I think one of the half shafts is longer too

Thanks, yes I explored that route before. I shall probably go with a Harropn which I'll get sent over from Australia.

Why not ARB lockers? I recall the Harrop e-lockers disengage if you let the vehicle roll back a touch for some reason. Not sure if that’s completely correct though

I do not like ARB lockers, never have, I did have them in my 70 as I could find no other options at that time but I will not put them in the 78.

Ok, I've never used them so don't have first hand knowledge of them, so was just curious.

I've read the Harrops unlock when running backwards. Seems a bit undesirable for reversing out of a sticky situation, or trying to reverse a bit to have another run at something. Makes me reluctant to fit the one to the front of my 100 that I bought a couple of years ago before I knew that. The TJM's seem a popular alternative to ARB although I never had problems with ARB lockers in the past.

Back