Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

79 series 4.5tdi windscreen washer pump slow/ not working

PedroAraujo

Country Flag
england
hi,

I have a problem with my windscreen washer pump working slow, dribbling out of the nozzles. I measured 12v at the pump on the wiring and changed the pump, no change. The pipes are all clear so there is no blockage, cleared these with an airline.

Question is, I have checked the fuses for the wipers and all ok, getting 12v at the pump, am i looking for a relay which is shot and needs replacing? Has anyone had the same experience?

I have read on line that some Toyotas have a 20a relay on the wiper switch which sometimes goes bad and this could affect the power to the wipers/ pump.

Any ideas where I can locat the relay? What else can I check?

Thanks Puff.

hi,

I have a problem with my windscreen washer pump working slow, dribbling out of the nozzles. I measured 12v at the pump on the wiring and changed the pump, no change. The pipes are all clear so there is no blockage, cleared these with an airline.

Question is, I have checked the fuses for the wipers and all ok, getting 12v at the pump, am i looking for a relay which is shot and needs replacing? Has anyone had the same experience?

I have read on line that some Toyotas have a 20a relay on the wiper switch which sometimes goes bad and this could affect the power to the wipers/ pump.

Any ideas where I can locat the relay? What else can I check?

Thanks Puff.
Does the pump sound like its labouring/struggling . iv had issues with water dribbling out but the pump sounds like its working ok, I too cleaned the lines but still no better.. I took the nozzles out from the bonnet and they were full of tiny pieces, cleaned em up put em back now there fine...blowing the pipes is not always the best thing it can force more shit into the nozzle..

+1 on the nozzles being a likely suspect and the easiest to check and clear. On the electrical side, check the voltage at the pump with it operating. A washer pump will pull, maybe, 2-3A at most so voltage drop should be minimal unless you do have a bad relay or connector somewhere giving a HR connection.

Edit.....Mine have never been overly impressive, compared to newer vehicles and the works Transit, even after replacing the pump so I fitted a second generic bulkhead mounted pump inline with the OE pump and now they’re practically jet wash grade.

Thanks Towpack, Higgy,

I tested the voltage again and was receiving only 10 volts. With the pump disconnected and pull the switch to activate the pump, the wipers go twice, when I connect the new pump, the wipers don't do anything.

I am suspecting a problem with the electrics, is there a relay on the wiper switch under the ignition / turn signal switches that needs replacing?

It seems to me when the washer pump is disconnected, there is enough power to operate the wipers in 2 cycles, as in when you Pull the lever to operate the pump. When it is connected, the 2 cycles don't happen.

Any suggestions?

I have seen many nozzles blocked as previously mentioned. This has always been my problem.
A quick test method for the pump could be to run a fused power and a ground directly to the pump with the rest of the circuit disconnected. If it performs as expected then it is a circuit issue. If the poor performance continues then it is a pump or mechanical issue. Good luck

All sorted now, it turns out it was the stalk switch that was the problem. Bugger to try and diagnose

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back