Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

80 and 100 Series drawers

Ian Rubie

Country Flag
uk
I have been watching this thread on IH8MUD

https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/kiss-drawers-keep-it-simple-storage.942639/

Dave is about to do another production run and I'm considering getting a set. There will obviously be shipping, import duty and VAT to be added to the price. I was wondering if anybody else would be interested in a set?

The drawers are shipped as a flat pack and weigh about 48kg. I have been quoted £160 for shipping a single set but if a few people are interested it might work out cheaper per set.

The run is likely to be open for a couple more weeks.

Ian

Sounds familiar. (Gullwing door development).

As if the gullwings weren't enough, I've gone and designed a drawer system for my own purposes. Totally the opposite end of the scale to this, made from Ally and in modules. Not at all simple with just about every inch of space used.

In the design stage at the minute but if there's any interest I can do a preliminary thread rather than continue to threadjack here.

do you know of a source in the uk of that alu section? and the plastic slider?

In the design stage at the minute but if there's any interest I can do a preliminary thread rather than continue to threadjack here.

I know you are only in the design stage but do you have a rough final price in mind? Will there be a 100 series version?

Ian

ok, the T section and plastic slider are all over the place. ill have a look at this if I can grab some time.

I haven't got to the T section in the description but Ally T section is available as is PTFE slide. I've also found a supplier for the ally extrusion for (yet) another project but haven't spoken to them yet.

Cost on my drawers, they are complex with a fridge drawer low down and a porta potti behind with a pull out kitchenette with sink and drawers and water. Same height to meet up with the bottom of the gullwings.

I'm bracing myself for between £1500 and £2000 at the minute. It's about £400 in sheet Ally alone which I may be able to cut back by making as one unit rather than three modules side by side. I emphasise this is only a guess at this stage but I should have more of an idea soon. Multiple orders would get the cost down a bit but probably not much unless we were talking 10 or more which we won't be.
Like the ones in the OP, it all depends on what's wanted and what ends up working and what doesn't. There's 9 drawers in it (told ya it wasn't KISS) but for good reason, and they're front and back for access to kitchen stuff versus toilet/ tools type stuff.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
On the 100, what dimensions do you have:-
1,Between wheel arches
2, From front to back from top of seat to inside the back door at the same height?
3,Height off the floor to the top of the seat back.
4,Seat back at floor level to the inside of the tailgate

its in ply, I'm a joiner by trade, ive got three different removable set ups for my 80, another wont hurt!

depending on the price of the T section I'm reasonable confident I can get close to his price.

its that time thing though, and ive got a lot on this year already. the new passenger in the 80 isn't helping matters..:)

I have been watching this thread on IH8MUD

https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/kiss-drawers-keep-it-simple-storage.942639/

Dave is about to do another production run and I'm considering getting a set. There will obviously be shipping, import duty and VAT to be added to the price. I was wondering if anybody else would be interested in a set?

The drawers are shipped as a flat pack and weigh about 48kg. I have been quoted £160 for shipping a single set but if a few people are interested it might work out cheaper per set.

The run is likely to be open for a couple more weeks.

Ian

At the price point is actually more expensive to import than the direct4x4 drawers - and seem to be about the same characteristics. The main difference is that these are 6cm higher to better align with the second row of seats folded down.

I haven't read the entire thread Ian, but what makes these specific drawers interesting?

Regards

What appeals to me about these drawers is they appear to be well thought out and tested, reasonably short lead time and they are a perfect fit in a 100. The downside is they are from the US so shipping and tax adds a lot to the price.

StarCruiser - The system you have planned is way too complicated for my needs.

chapel gate - If you can do something that fits as well as the US ones at a similar price point then I would be interested. I need them installed by early June, that is a hard deadline. Is that too tight for your current workload?

Ian

I couldn't agree more Ian. It may be more complex than I need but then so Is everything I design. :) It is, in fact, simpler now than it was would you believe. Anyway, thanks for giving it your thought. If I were looking at having some simple plywood drawers made up in the UK, there are some Australian ones with teflon on teflon runners that I would take inspiration from. Can't think of the name at the minute but they were on here in the last month. Seemed pretty neat.

I am definitely in the market for a set of drawers. Some of the designs and builds coming out of the USA are really impressive including sliding kitchen/sink sets. However the cost of importing/shipping them into the UK is on the expensive side. Considering the larger 80/100 series market in Europe I am surprised that someone /company hasn't taken up the mantle and designed and built locally made ones (that just aren't box draws).

I couldn't agree more Ian. It may be more complex than I need but then so Is everything I design. :) It is, in fact, simpler now than it was would you believe. Anyway, thanks for giving it your thought. If I were looking at having some simple plywood drawers made up in the UK, there are some Australian ones with teflon on teflon runners that I would take inspiration from. Can't think of the name at the minute but they were on here in the last month. Seemed pretty neat.

Drifta?

What appeals to me about these drawers is they appear to be well thought out and tested, reasonably short lead time and they are a perfect fit in a 100. The downside is they are from the US so shipping and tax adds a lot to the price.

StarCruiser - The system you have planned is way too complicated for my needs.

chapel gate - If you can do something that fits as well as the US ones at a similar price point then I would be interested. I need them installed by early June, that is a hard deadline. Is that too tight for your current workload?

Ian

I agree. These do look well thought out and a good fit.

Happy to join you in the queue to motivate Mr Gate. My deadline is 2nd week of May though.

Thanks for that. I'm not sure their European pricing is going to work, it appears to be Oz price + 10% + $200 shipping + €100 shipping. They are also only planning on shipping every 3 months which misses my deadline.

If you sent me accurate and detailed measurements i could make them next week..
The real time and effort eater is designing them, the initial idea which through out the process chops and changes, then you have the measuring, the problem to get over, the im not quite happy with that. Then theres the prototype and the slight adjustments.
It becomes all encompassing and you find yourself of an evening running things over in your head.

i love it tbh, but ive got a couple of the above on at the moment, but if you just send me some dimensions...
This is something i would like to get into more and i would like to do them but.. oh give me a couple of days to think about it.

damn it..

You've been inside my head haven't you CG? C'mon, own up, I know you've been in there. :)

That is EXACTLY the process I go through. Exactly. The drawings for my drawer system took a whole month on and off. There's still finishing touches to be done once it's built.

You've been inside my head haven't you CG? C'mon, own up, I know you've been in there. :)

That is EXACTLY the process I go through. Exactly. The drawings for my drawer system took a whole month on and off. There's still finishing touches to be done once it's built.
:banana-gotpics:

Back