Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

80 Cruise just stopped working any (sensible) ideas?

Faulty twin filament rear bulbs? or try disconnecting the tow bar electric cable if you have one.

Frank

Don't think so Frank. They're LED. Tow bar electrics chopped off at the second and all bare ends isolated. Did wonder about earthing the loose earth end though.

Dodgy led bulb?
Are they replacing twin filimamet bulbs?

Without wishing to patronize chris but are the led's in the correct way round, I've had problems doing just that.

Not at all. Yes they are. They only go in one way. They're an off set pin and don't work if they are wrongly connected. Brake lights do seem to be working just fine. But as I posted earlier inn the thread, the old number plate lights glimmer too when the brake is pressed.Now old style filament bulbs wouldn't probably light up but these low resistance LEDs do. It might be the case that swapping back to old bulbs could cure it, but that's simply masking the problem I think

How about swap one bulb to a normal one, see what that does. If the same swap the other side so leaving one led in? Have you checked the bulbs across the positive pins for continuity? It could be a bulb rather then a vehicle fault. Start with the easy things.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Just a thought Chris, are the left and the right rear lights powered separately as they are in the 7 pin towing socket? Is there a possibility that these have become joined. I can't think of a reason why, but that may be giving wrong signals to the cc :think:

Edit, it, sorry missed post 22:doh:

Last edited:
Shayne, my Boy, what an excellent find! I have always been pretty sure that nothing was broken here, simply that I had introduced a fault. Now, the easy thing as mentioned before is to just pop two old bulbs back in and go for a spin. I have to confess I haven't tried indicating whilst CC was set but as the side lights and brake lights are in the same bulb, it's likely that this is a replica of the fault shown in the video where it's the indicators tripping the CC.

I shall report back once I have chance to get on the road. Only wanted LEDs in there really to save power and hopefully be more rugged in relation to rough roads. But hey, maybe good old fashioned filaments are the best thing

Nowt so strange as folk. Now he has a hidden brake light bulb just so he can have his LED's on show!

Frank

Yes, not the cure I'd have used Frank. If it is the LEDs causing this, I shall take them out, stick them in my trailer and put the old style Edison inventions back in. I am not so bothered that I'd go to any lengths at all to keep them. Just liked the more modern look. Snazzed it up a bit. The reversing ones are mental. They're like flood lights! I didn't put indicator LEDs in as they need ballasts. But I did put them in the ARB front bumper. Too many traditional bulbs does slow the flash rate somewhat. Especially with the trailer coupled up. When I finally get to the wiring proper I shall wire in a by pass relay. That has its own power feed so trailer lights look really effective.

Right well that bottomed that then. Put two new bulbs in and went for a spin. Nothing. Wouldn't set at all. Came home, tested bulbs, threw both in the bin, robbed some out of the other 80, went for a spin. All working perfectly.

Lesson learned - 80s with CC don't like LED twin filament lamps.

My 80 is a 1995 and I've changed one bulb in my 16 years of ownership. You would think a bulb would be a bulb but I guess you can buy cheap or expensive ones. I've never seen so many cars with faulty lamps as in these days. Halfords best bet I suppose?

Glad you got it sorted.

Frank

Before I bought my first Land Cruiser I had a Supra, both were owned for three years and in six years of motoring the only fault that appeared on both cars? a rear tail light blew. :icon-sad:

Toyota's . . . you gotta love 'em. :thumbup:

Last edited:
As I recall they were stamped Land Rover.

Result dodgy bulbs.

Might get some led ones for the reverse lights as could do with a bit more light!

Well it wasn't dodgy bulbs really Gary. It was LEDs in general. Nothing wrong with them and they are now in the other 80 which doesn't have cruise. The only dodgy ones were the one I put in this afternoon without checking them. They were so new and shiny and clean I never looked at them closely. Clearly they had met with intolerable force at some point and the filaments were all broken. Couldn't believe I had no tail or stop lamps. Checked the fuses, thought about relays. Doh, didn't look at the bulbs when I put them in.

Schoolboy error.

Yes get some for the reversing lights. They're really bright. Handy for working at the back of the vehicle at night.

I've used my cc once and that was to make sure it worked when buying it! Not something I use even when in a company car.

I've got some slimline led trailer lights (with ballasts) if you want to upgrade and I'm passing?
Used them as rear lights on the old trooper.

Mine has LED reverse lights too (fitted by Chas)

You have LED indicators too with ballast to adjust flash rate (fitted by Julian V) If I remember correctly all your lights are LED's and dipped and main headlights are HID's.

Last edited:
Back