Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

80 exhaust chop part 1

Chris

Super Moderator
Supporter
Garage
Country Flag
great_britain
Rather ignominiously, at the last Lincomb, I got caught on the top of a buried telewag pole. This had been part of an obstacle near the power pylon and consisted of four feet of BT's finest set end on in the ground. I was sooo stuck that I ended up using the axe to chop it into bits to get off. It was in between the steering rack and front exhaust. Here's the resultant damage to the box. It didn't seem to be leaking, but it looked a mess and kept clanging on the chassis.

photo1.jpg

So I made a jig to hold everything in place and cut the box out.

photo2.jpg

Then I welded a new straight section in place

photo3.jpg

Gave it a couple of coats of heat proof paint

photo4.jpg

Made a flexi joint guard from steel as the wire sleeve had just rotted to nothing

photo5.jpg

And stuck it back on with a new hanger too.

photo6.jpg

photo7.jpg

All of this was slowed down by the fact that the previous butcher had replaced two of the 10mm studs on the manifold with 6mm nuts and bolts. So a quick trip to Milners and some time re-threading the manifold in situ, I have 3 proper studs again. Worth doing a job properly in my view.
Going to cut out the middle box next but I need some bits from Jetex. It has made no difference at all to the engine note or volume. We'll see later today if it feels different to drive. Milner gaskets were spot on by the way.

Chris

Nice work buddy :thumbup: Are you thinking of going with a straight through pipe or popping in a box somewhere?

I'm very pleased that I decided to put a small PECO box in where the big OEM one goes as I have heard a straight through 3" system at WCO & its way too load for me!!!

Looking forward to GW Zorst: Part Deux... :cool:

Ordered parts from Jetex today for straight through. Too loud, come on Gav, grow a pair. This isn't 3" remember it's the stock 2.5. Well it varies 2.5 to 2.75 actually. With the usual nip in the over axle bend, going 3" as a mod on stock parts is a waste of time really. I ran it with no zorst at all. Straight from the manilow as it were. Actually it wasn't that loud. Do remember that I am a drummer so loud is a relative thing. I may leave the tiddly box at the end. But looking really for a side ejection through the new rear winch bumper.

Oh and a Happy New F*&^%@&^$ Year to you all by the way.

Chris

Nice one. Too many other things to try & remember Chris. Enjoy...

Despite being struck down with Manthrax, I braved the wet this morning and chopped out the center box from the system and weld a new piece in. I needed 2 30 degree elbows to give me the right angle of wrangle to join the offset end together. With the sliders on, I couldn't get the front pipe off so I have to work with that in place. I welded the whole thing throughout but the join between the centre and front pipe is still a U bolt clamp arrangement so that it can come apart. I left the little resonator box right at the end of the pipe for now. Well, it's not loud by any means. But neither is it really great sounding. I have heard 3" systems that sound superb. This is 2 1/2 just with the boxes removed so I never expected miracles. It does feel freer to drive and the zorst no longer hits the prop which is nice. Fairly hefty weight saving too.

Chris

IMGP4327.jpg

...of course now you've gone that far, you could change the front bit so it runs inside the chassis rail rather than out and back over the chassis...

anyway, nice work, i'd similarly like to get rid of the enormous middle silencer, it seems a curious choice to have designed it in to hang below the protection of the chassis rails. I can't help thinking its only a matter of time until it gets caught on something. as your pics show, its annoyingly not straight, so chopping it out is a little more complex than just clamping in a replacement straight bit of tube.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
so chopping it out is a little more complex than just clamping in a replacement straight bit of tube.

---
erm well you could (just did) blows a bit at the front edge but it's still quieter than the big hole that was in the pipe before.

That centre box is a heavy mother.

Chris I wish you lived nearer, I'd be popping round with tea, food and beer hampers from time to time, with bits of metal needing your welding skills ;-)

Nice job and write up BTW, hope you recover from Manthrax soon.

Fresh lemons and honey work wonders (Fresh VIT C, not from bottles or pills)

I'll try some fresh lime in my Gin and Tonic then!! Happy to weld bits and bobs for you mate if you are ever over this way. Save them up and come for the day.

Yes, there are ways to make a nicer run on the pipe but my failing is that I can't custom bend tube. So, I am at the mercy of the Jetex catalogue for now.

It's a good bit tidier of course and nothing to catch on anymore. Doesn't blow at all. I had to make a new hanger for the last joint over the cross member, but that was easy enough.

Chris

IMGP4328.jpg

mmmmmmmmmmmm

Nice,

Very nice,look forward to hearing it cris, good work :thumbup:

I have a small collection of bends and pipe, think it was 2.5", mild steel, bought when I though I might have to sort out the tail pipe on mine myself. Bit late to mention it now I know but if you were planning any more exhaust mods ...

Put me down for them please Jon when you have your next garage sale. I haven't done yet. I would like to come up and out through the bumper when I make that. Why? Because I can.

Chris

Chris said:
Put me down for them please Jon when you have your next garage sale. I haven't done yet. I would like to come up and out through the bumper when I make that. Why? Because I can.
Ok, I'll let you know what I've got when I remember to have a look :mrgreen:

Back