Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

80 fj40 no power to vehicle

wmsimons

Country Flag
united_states
so this is my first post on the forum. ive got a 1980 fj40 2F that was running great up until a couple weeks ago. went out for a drive came back and shut it down for about 2 hours. Tried to start it up again and heard an electric shorting/sparking noise from under the hood. at that point all power to everything stopped, no lights, radi..etc ive looked and looked but cannot find anything with any marks or burns. the battery/cables are good and all the fuses are still good. im thinking at this point it could either be the igniter assembly that sits on top of the coil or maybe the starter has shorted out. any suggestions?

Battery connections first then earth connections would be my first move. Check battery voltage, if its charged then try a jump lead from the negative terminal to the block and see if it starts.
After that has been eliminated then its more involved. Do the lights come on? Get someone to turn the key while you look under the hood to see if there are any sparks/ noise from anywhere.

checked all the connections and grounds. the battery was tested and showed good power. tried the negative to jump it but nothing. when you turn the key nothing happens there is no power getting to anything in the interior or the engine bay.

Can't help you further I'm afraid but keep us posted on the end result, it will help others.

My knowledge is relatively limited, but have you checked the fusible link? The sheathing is designed to withstand heat so wouldn't show any damage from the outside, and would obviously cut power to everything. You can test just by pulling the sheathing - if the sheath stretches the link has burnt through and needs replacing.

Have you checked the actual earth connection to the chassis? And/or the engine earth cable? And/or the ignition switch itself?

Regards,

Rodger

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Hi there, before I get all carried away and start suggesting all manner of drastic measures befitting a Bush mechanic might I suggest you have a look at the ignition switch, it's the only link between the battery and all electric devices in the vehicle.

Back