Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

80 immob and key question

madmanmart

I only have one key for my 80 plus It has a starter button fitted which I assume is because the ignition switch has failed.

We have a 80 petrol here which I'm going to use for parts and it has three keys. If I swap the locks and barrel over how can I get it working? Does the 80 have a immobiliser box that can be swapped also?

Cheers, Mart

If this is the truck i think it is . And it might not be . I think it was for sale a year ago with no keys . I just thought i should mention it as the start button and one key barrel MIGHT be a workaround already installed .

Nice truck by the way few 80's for sale catch my interest but this one did and so did one very similar about a year ago which is why i think they could possibly be the same truck .

As shayne states. Was sold last year no keys etc.

they will have 12v wire going straight to the pump and I guess same down to the starter that runs via the switch.

The back of the 24v has a transponder on the fuel solinoide that talks to the key.

The petrol will be different.

Going back to the question you ask. You should be able to use the key. Your truck will be starting without using the transponder.

I will take a look, cheers folks.
If I turn the key to start without using the button the solinoid does clicks like it wants to go. It is a genuine and old key that I have with it.

Sounds like its been modified to bypass the immobiliser. If you want to get it back to standard you will need a fair bit off a same spec vehicle from a breaker, ie Keys,barrel, signal reciever and ECU which recognises the key, also all the door lock,tailgate and glove box. Also the alarm from a similiar year will fit straight in, the TVSS system but you will need the fobs which match.
Alternatively a good alarm installation firm should be able to make sense of whats happened and sort it out.

Hope you get sorted.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I've just had a quick look. The key and locks look original. Wiring to pump looks factory too.

There is a chance that when the previous owner bought it with no keys that they just ordered a key from toyota off the vin number and they were lucky that the truck hadn't had a lock set change at some point then.
As far as I'm aware you won't be able to use the lock set out of the petrol unless you leave the original key cable tied onto the steering colum. That way it will pic up the transponder in the key.

Thanks for the help so far.

I take it there is a transponder ring round the barrel and chip in the key?

Strange setup, but if the immobiliser is still in circuit you should be able to program it to accept the keys from the petrol using your existing key. You can test that by disconnecting the transponder coil that is around the ignition barrel. If you disconnect that and the truck still starts the immobiliser has been bypassed. If it won't start, the immobiliser is working so try programming it to accept the petrol keys before swapping locks etc.

Strange setup, but if the immobiliser is still in circuit you should be able to program it to accept the keys from the petrol using your existing key. You can test that by disconnecting the transponder coil that is around the ignition barrel. If you disconnect that and the truck still starts the immobiliser has been bypassed. If it won't start, the immobiliser is working so try programming it to accept the petrol keys before swapping locks etc.

Oh that's interesting, so what's the procedure for programming keys?

I will test if she starts with the transponder ring unplugged.

The immobiliser ECU can take up to 4 spare keys before it becomes 'full' but it can be wiped to remove all old keys (excluding the master) and new keys reprogrammed. This is the issue I had when I bought my LC with only one key, luckily the master key and ordered a spare. The ECU was found to have it's full complement of keys by the dealer and wouldn't take any more until the old one's were removed. There is a slight chance that wiping the ECU will render it useless, according to the dealer who did mine, requiring a new ECU and lockset. No idea how it's done though, sorry, but as far as I could see there were no special tools or diagnostic equipment (laptop etc) required.

Actually there are several different systems fitted to 80's so we need to know more about the truck, what year, what the key you do have looks like. Do the keys for the petrol 80 look the same as the key you have for the diesel 80? They do need to be using the same key/transponder type to be compatible.

Am I right in thinking this isn't even a coded key?

00B836FB-31B4-4943-99C4-5F03CA23DAD4_zps3ahmuytk.jpg

Actually there are several different systems fitted to 80's so we need to know more about the truck, what year, what the key you do have looks like. Do the keys for the petrol 80 look the same as the key you have for the diesel 80? They do need to be using the same key/transponder type to be compatible.

The truck was bought off eBay Jon by the previous owner. It had no keys etc and was down near the docks somewhere.

They have obviously just fitted a new set of locks and I expect the transponder key doesn't send a signal to the fuel stop as it must have 12v feed to it?

Happy days, I'll just get another key cut tomorrow.

Just got to investigate the button start now.

I expect the button will be to do with the transponder not being there as well. I guess it will be linked in the starting system.

I quite lite the idea of a button or a hidden switch for security.

Lol

I can imagine. You will just have to tidy it up. Compare things with your dads :)

Back