Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

80 rear diff housing

kingtom

Country Flag
uk
Looking for a rear diff housing as ive got the nitro re gearing kit coming. Ive got a spare front but am after the rear so I dont have to take the truck apart until the last min and keep the other diffs as spares if I go back to smaller tyres.

Doesnt matter if the pinion or ring gears are buggered or the bearings have gone as this will all be replaced anyway.

Cheers

Tom

Tom when you say rear diff housing do you mean rear diff carrier? You don't want an axle.

If you go with that then our conversation about pinion depth is even more valid. You can't expect new gears and an old carrier to come out at the same measurements as the old diff and bearings. It's a complete unknown really. Sorry but I really don't think you can short cut this one mate.

Hi Chris

Yeah once again my descriptions let me down. Its the rear diff I am looking for.

I understand what your saying about pinion depths and realise I am going to have to shim it completely differently to the original. Probably going to take a fair bit of jiggery pokery but thats the other reason I am after a separate diff so I can take my time and the truck doesnt have to sit in bits on the drive.

This is the ideal opportunity to use solid spacers rather than crush tubes and shims - something which I do at the first opportunity.

It's the way I am doing it mate. Fed up, just shut the workshop door and come back to it later but truck still running whilst I do it. It's the right thing to do. Plus then you still have a complete set of diffs to drop back in should you need to. There's no down side.

Roger, do you set the diff up with shims and spacer then once right pull it all and machine a spacer to the right total length or do you just keep popping the solid spacer back in, machine a bit off, pop it back in etc etc.

I can make the spacer no problem, I'm just not sure of the process.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
ive seen the Australian pinions you can get. seems like they come with a bigger pinion shaft that you then machine down to perfect eliminating the need for shims. But it looked to me like it would be a nightmare to get right and to much margin of error to go wrong

Yes but you could always just use shims if you took too much off. The best way is to use a pinion depth gauge. If you know the factory pinion depth, you can put this bit of kit in where the carrier bearings go, measure your new pinion without shims, deduct that from the factory setting and it gives you the shim thickness. Brilliant. Haven't got one, don't know where to get one and no idea if it fits a Toyota but ......

I do know the size of the bearings because I have old ones. So I could machine two discs to go in the carrier bearing caps. Bore the centres to take a bar through the middles and mount a dial gauge on there to measure the pinion. I might have a crack at making one. Not hard to do and get it accurate. It's just a centre line that you need an a gauge mount. Thing is, we need the pinion depth measurement. Nitro Gear might give you that Tom.

Roger, do you set the diff up with shims and spacer then once right pull it all and machine a spacer to the right total length.

Exactly that Chris. A bit of hassle but also worth it.

Ahh hah. Hmm. Then methinks making a pinion depth gauge might be handy. Perhaps not so much for new gears, but old gears and new bearings would be made so much easier. I'm on it.

Ahh hah. Hmm. Then methinks making a pinion depth gauge might be handy. Perhaps not so much for new gears, but old gears and new bearings would be made so much easier. I'm on it.

Good Plan!

Looking for a rear diff housing as ive got the nitro re gearing kit coming. Ive got a spare front but am after the rear so I dont have to take the truck apart until the last min and keep the other diffs as spares if I go back to smaller tyres.

Doesnt matter if the pinion or ring gears are buggered or the bearings have gone as this will all be replaced anyway.

Cheers

Tom
What is nitro kit ratio?

They offer a choice of ratios

Back