Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

80 rebuild questions

Jake the Peg

Country Flag
scotland
Well I guess I could do lots of searching but our internet link on the ship is like using asthmatic pigeons carrying a sack of coal, so I'll ask my questions, apologies in advance of asking some of the common questions again. I'm kinda planning to have some things in place for when I get home from Sea

So for my expected repairs before any improvements...

Its a 24v motor, not sure on the mileage, maybe around 200k.
There is a slight knocking from the engine, and it lost its coolant, a radiator leak, it has a slight misfire also, so I plan to take the head off check the valves and head for damage. New timing belt kit and water pump.
Q. Genuine Toyota Head Gasket or aftermarket, do aftermarket come in different thickness?

Q. Should I just plan on changing BEB's and Mains, if so I'm as well to pull the pistons and change rings? Is it still recommended to use ACL shells? best supplier for Rings?

The front axle is soaking from the passenger hub, I guess the half shaft seal is kaput, I think he said the CV's are clicking, but if the hub is full of oil I guess there won't be much grease. I plan to strip the axle and change the CV's, wheel bearings and "king pin" bearings, replace both hub seals and half shaft seals. I thought of using the greaseable CV's and seals bearings etc from Milner's. I see Toyota half shaft seals recommended, I saw the SKF shaft sleeve and thought it may be worthwhile at that sort of mileage
Q. Best suppliers for the axle parts?

Q. Propshaft UJ's, best supplier, I may as well do them to help smooth out the drive

Q. Is there any later model LC front seats that bolt straight in, I don't mind they won't match the rear!

Q. Any special tools I need / should get

Thanks in advance to anyone who can suffer to answer

John

hi john.
are you looking at genuine parts for evwrything or aftermarket?

I can supply all new genuine stuff.

Thanks Karl, thats where I saw them, I hadn't heard about them before, but I like the concept. Im sure after a couple of hundred thousand there will be a lip on the halfshaft making the seal less effective

Cheers

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I forgot to ask about the ball on the axle, Were these a chrome finish when new? I was told of a home repair while looking for Patrol parts for a guy, which was to do a good clean with a wire wheel on the grinder and use a hard paint like enamel to return a smooth surface? do you think it would be worth a try?

cheers

I forgot to ask about the ball on the axle, Were these a chrome finish when new? I was told of a home repair while looking for Patrol parts for a guy, which was to do a good clean with a wire wheel on the grinder and use a hard paint like enamel to return a smooth surface? do you think it would be worth a try?

cheers

ive heard of a few people do this john and were happy with the result.

Mike:icon-biggrin:
yes, you can see the scoring on the half shaft in the pictures. They have been leak free since i did them.

cheers
They are a paint finish from new.
building them up with a hard paint works well

Its been 30yrs since I worked in the Toyota dealership as an apprentice, too many brain cells sponsored Smirnoff and Budweiser I couldn't remember.

Do most people know the Japanese use a slightly different + (phillips) screwdriver, Called JIS. It is a superior design, giving better drive than a standard phillips. They aren't the easiest to get in the uk, but are included in the original tool kits

cheers

I've read about them on i8hmud years ago. I have the original screw driver still in my 80s tool kit. Ive never even used it. Ill study it a little closer next time..
tbh i dont think a lot of people know the difference between a pozi and a Phillips.

Using a standard phillips is the main reason that the screws seem to chew up, but to buy a set of JIS drivers is quite expensive, you can get the 1/4 hex drive bits cheap enough, The most available manufacture is Vessel and are decent quality, can save a bit of swearing at the tight screws!

Pozi's have 4 extra ribs, and really screw up your phillips drivers!

cheers

Japanese industrial standard..
there are quite a few on ebay. I can see a well deserved treat developing..:)

I would go for genuine head gasket. you might not get the exact size you need as every other size is not available from toyota. I used next size down.

Don't forget to glaze bust the bores.

A progress report with pictures would be good.

Back