Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

80 series 1991 factory turbo 12 volt power supply problem

chig

Country Flag
australia
hey guys,
so i've had a 12 volt problem with pretty much all my interior electronics for about 1 year +
started small and occasionally for example
the revs on the cluster would drop out and come back in every now and then.
all the lights on the cluster would flash on and off (would seem to happen when i would drive over bumps)
slowly got more
consistent
now just about everything inside drops in and out every 10 seconds. indicators don't work, head lights flicker and
pretty much everything else but starts fine.
i tested the power supply from the alternator and its was coming in at 9 volts. with a few other test i figured the alternator was having problems producing enough amps to run the car. replaced that this morning (140 amp) and the power supply to the car is pack to 14.2 but it has fixed nothing. i have checked all the earths i know of. (any sneaky ones people know of let me know) but i,m pretty stumped
wiring isn't my strong point lol.
cheers

Is it constantly coming and going every 10 seconds or only when the vehicle is on the road and bouncing about?

Did your rear wiper packed up just before the problems? Faulty earth in my tailgate caused me same probs as yours. Had it not been for the clue of the wiper packing up I would never have found the problem. I would have thought this would have been a common problem but have yet to find fellow sufferer.

The actual connections in the alternator plug (3 or 4 wire system) is normally the culprit for fluctuations in voltage, and of course the notorious fusible links by the battery positive, also throw in some confusion.

regards

Dave

Last edited:
Rear lights and towbar sockets are often found to be the cause of many mysterious electrical problems regardless which series cruiser .

Back